BUG: Update Thing Configuration Parameters yields ERROR: 500 - Internal Server Error on PaperUI

I have freshly installed OpenHABian (stable 2.0.0) a Intel NUC using Debian 8.8. My test bed is using a Aeon Labs Z-Stick Gen5 and a Aeon Labs MultiSensor 6. First of all, the sensor showed up on the inbox as a unknown device. I added it anyhow, and it is showing me all channels for the sensors of the device. However, if I try to update the parameters, I get a 500 error. The events log shows that my device has been updated, even though this is not the case. Openhab.log is showing me some errors along the lines:

[ERROR] [ocol.ZWaveController$ZWaveSendThread] - NODE 2: Timeout while sending message. Requeueing - 0 attempts left!
[ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 2: Got an error while sending data. Resending message.
2017-05-14 19:14:42.659 [INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing ā€˜zwave:device:a6bc6653:node2ā€™ to inbox.
[ERROR] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 2: Size error 4<>1 from config_255_4_wo
[WARN ] [ding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 2: Initialising Thing Nodeā€¦

I can update parameters of my Z-Stick without any problems, so the problem seems to be specific to the ZW100 MultiSensor 6.

I unfortunately do not have any further devices at this time to test with.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Doing some more logging, seeing this in logs:

events.log
2017-05-20 22:21:19.596 [ThingUpdatedEvent ] - Thing ā€˜zwave:device:f858f2b9:node2ā€™ has been updated.
2017-05-20 22:21:19.604 [ConfigStatusInfoEvent ] - ConfigStatusInfo [configStatusMessages=[ConfigStatusMessage [parameterName=config_100_1_wo, type=PENDING, messageKey=null, arguments=null, message=null, statusCode=null], ConfigStatusMessage [parameterName=config_102_4_000000FF, type=PENDING, messageKey=null, arguments=null, message=null, statusCode=null]]]
2017-05-20 22:23:59.728 [ItemStateChangedEvent ] - ZWaveNode2ZW100MultiSensor6_SensorMotion changed from ON to OFF

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==
2017-05-20 22:24:02.055 [INFO ] [class.ZWaveMultiInstanceCommandClass] - NODE 5: Received a multi instance encapsulation with a destination endpoint = 2.
2017-05-20 22:24:02.056 [WARN ] [class.ZWaveMultiInstanceCommandClass] - NODE 5: The originating endpoint is 1. Please notify author.
2017-05-20 22:24:54.827 [ERROR] [ome.io.rest.core.thing.ThingResource] - Exception during HTTP PUT request for update config at ā€˜things/zwave:device:f858f2b9:node2/configā€™ for thing ā€˜zwave:device:f858f2b9:node2ā€™: null

==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==
2017-05-20 22:24:55.204 [ThingUpdatedEvent ] - Thing ā€˜zwave:device:f858f2b9:node2ā€™ has been updated.
2017-05-20 22:24:55.207 [ConfigStatusInfoEvent ] - ConfigStatusInfo [configStatusMessages=[ConfigStatusMessage [parameterName=config_100_1_wo, type=PENDING, messageKey=null, arguments=null, message=null, statusCode=null], ConfigStatusMessage [parameterName=config_102_4_000000FF, type=PENDING, messageKey=null, arguments=null, message=null, statusCode=null]]]

I could further narrow down this problem. It only happens with the PaperUI, even using latest unstable release as per this post date. Habmin works fine. So steps to reproduce are:

1. In PaperUI, Open Thing ZW100 MultiSensor 6 (could reproduce with Qubino ZMNHBD Flush 2 relays as well)
  2. Press pencil icon to edit
  3. Change some configuration parameters (for example 3: motion sensor reset timeout in ZW100)
  4. Press check icon to save
  5. You should find error in events.log as posted previously

Same action in Habmin will not produce error

Iā€™m experiencing the same issue with ZW100 Multisensor 6, every time I try and update the config via PaperUI I get an internal server error.

I have installed a bunch of Qubino switches and shutter controls, and am getting 500 errors, even when just updating the name of a thing (updates work though). The problem only occurs over the ZWave binding. I donā€™t have this issue with OpenSprinkler, Netatmo or Envislink bindings. Maybe it is some kind of timeout problem with the Aeon Labs ZStick Gen5. If someone needs more specific logging, pls let me know what you need and what I need to do. Am still very new to OpenHab, but love it, and am learning step by step.

Iā€™ve got the same issue. :blush:
Trying to update the settings for my Fibaroa FGKF-601, also through the AEON Lab ZStick GEN5. To use the ā€˜lock functionā€™ in the FGKF-601, you need to put a value in parameter 0. But once I try to save it, getting a ā€˜Error 500 -internal server errorā€™.

When I check the openhab.log:

2017-07-11 19:03:27.682 [ERROR] [ome.io.rest.core.thing.ThingResource] - Exception during HTTP PUT request for update config at 'things/zwave:device:30038385:node91/config' for thing 'zwave:device:30038385:node91': For input string: "org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveAssociationGroup@21eca37"

Not a browser issue, iā€™ve tested it on Chrome, Firefox & Edge.
btw, HABmin is working, so the issue should be searched in paperUI?

So I guess Iā€™ll follow this topic a bit. If somebody has a hint where I can look, let me knowā€¦

Any solution (besides avoiding the paper UI)? Experiencing the same issues on a fresh openhabian install.

Hi Sander,

I am currently experiencing the same issue ā€¦ Let you know if I have any update with my problem!

Iā€™m having the same problem on 2.1.0. Any solutions?

2 Likes

Did any of you also try the 2.2.0-SNAPSHOT builds to see if it is fixed? It contains 5 months of bug fixing and development. If it is not fixed in those builds an issue should be created otherwise it will not get fixed in the final 2.2.0 release. :slight_smile:

Hi,
I tried it with the latest snapshot and it still happens. I have raised an Issue.

Hi,
It reproduces for me also with ā€œopenHAB 2.2.0 Release Buildā€.
In Paper UI, during attempt to modify parameters for ZWave device i can see the HTTP request:

PUT http://openhabianpi:8080/rest/things/zwave:device:69348d40:node8/config

failing with HTTP 500 error and /var/log/openhab2/openhab2.log includes:

2017-12-27 17:44:41.535 [ERROR] [st.core.internal.thing.ThingResource] - Exception during HTTP PUT request for update config at 'things/zwave:device:69348d40:node8/config'
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.math.BigDecimal cannot be cast to java.lang.Integer
        at org.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler.handleConfigurationUpdate(ZWaveThingHandler.java:749) [226:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.2.0]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingRegistryImpl.updateConfiguration(ThingRegistryImpl.java:94) [116:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.b1]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.core.internal.thing.ThingResource.updateConfiguration(ThingResource.java:413) [126:org.eclipse.smarthome.io.rest.core:0.10.0.b1]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]

@Nick_Hoath, could you reference raised Issue?

1 Like

is it this issue: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/issues/595 ?
@Kai closed it

This was fixed a couple of days ago so Iā€™d recommend to use the latest version of the ZWave binding.

1 Like

For completeness -:

1 Like

Yes - of course. 2.2 was released before this change.

I can confirm that after upgrade to the last week snapshot this problem has been fixed!

Thank you
(checked on Fibaro double switch 2X1.5W and fibaro double switch 2)

How exactly can I install the latest version. Iā€™ve gone to the link Chris provided above but am unsure of what to do with the files. Complete noob here, obvs!

Also, unlike others on this thread, this problem is occurring on both Paper UI and Habmin for me.

I am also having this problem, and like you, am experienced enough to locate this discussion, but inexperienced enough to be unsure of where to get the latest version of the zwave binding. Did you find the location? Also, how does one go about updating the binding?

Any support you or others can provide is appreciated.

Tom

Hello,

I have this issue too, how can I update Zwave Binding Module ? thank you