Can alarm system sensors serve double duty?

This is actually what I was hoping to do originally. Ideally if I could find an alarm system that would allow me to piggy back and use its sensors in OpenHAB as you described above would be great.

As per others, you rely on the security system - so do not compromise it by adding direct wiring to its existing sensors.
Using an alarm system’s API or programmed outputs etc. to interface (report indirectly) to OpenHAB is using as the makers intended.

In my existing old commercial grade wired alarm system, it happens to have nearly as many programmable on/off outputs as detector zones. These can be programmed to ‘follow’ designated detector states, so I can have a (lot of) wires connected to binary inputs (like GPIO) that OpenHAB can read.

But you wouldn’t do it like that when starting out fresh, when alarms with proper communication features are available.

I have no experience but many seem to use DSC with OH

P.S. you’re quite right that you can do all sorts of useful things with alarm sensor info. Example, with PIR and door contact reporting you can make “wasp-in-a-box” presence detection enhancements.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @rossko57. Are you saying that if I get a DSC alarm system installed I will be able to use the DSC sensors to trigger automations with OH2?

Yep, that’s what I do.
The DSC alarm operates independently, but I can use it’s sensors in openhab.
Some rule examples that I use (Warning - Probably terrible, haven’t put too much thought into them)

rule "Turn on Hallway light at night when motion is detected"
when
    Item DSC_Zone3Status changed to OPEN
then
    if ((HallwayTimer === null) && (now.isBefore((LocalSun_Rise.state as DateTimeType).calendar.timeInMillis) || now.isAfter((LocalSun_Set.state as DateTimeType).calendar.timeInMillis)) && (Dimmer_Ceiling_Hallway.state == 0)) {
        sendCommand(Dimmer_Ceiling_Hallway, 1)
		HallwayTimer = createTimer(now.plusSeconds(30), [|
            sendCommand(Dimmer_Ceiling_Hallway, OFF)
            HallwayTimer = null
        ])
    }
    else {
        HallwayTimer.reschedule(now.plusSeconds(30))
    }
end
rule "Entry Delay & After Sunset"
	when
		Item DSC_EntryDelay changed to ON
	then
		if (now.isBefore((LocalSun_Rise.state as DateTimeType).calendar.timeInMillis) || now.isAfter((LocalSun_Set.state as DateTimeType).calendar.timeInMillis)) {
			logInfo("org.openhab", "Entry Detected & After Sunet - Turning lights ON")
		 	sendCommand(Dimmer_Ceiling_Lounge, 50)
			sendCommand(Dimmer_Ceiling_DiningRoom, 100)
			sendCommand(Dimmer_Ceiling_Kitchen, 100)
		}
end

I also use the alarm status to determine presence, so if it is armed after sunset, it will randomly turn lights on & off.
As well as a few other things, but that gives you an idea.

Regards,
Josh

@Anquietas86 , @TommySharp covered this already. Basicly YES, but you need an ‘Envisalink’ add-on option to give the DSC communications to OH.

@luckymallari uses EyezOn Vista, with an AlarmDecoder external device.
https://www.alarmdecoder.com/

@Rob_Byrd uses Leviton Omni, which I think has built in comms features.

@druciak refers to Satel system, again I think an add-on module is needed for comms.

You use each of these with the appropriate OH binding to convert alarm states/zones into OpenHAB Items

Which one suits you best might depend on what is available to you/your installer.

While it is possible to build a basic alarm system with OpenHAB and a collection of sensors, this won’t satisfy insurers (no certification). It would take some effort to make something as sophisticated and secure as a commercial system.
The alarm is there for protection - think defensively about how you use it (e.g. do you really want OpenHAB to be able to disarm it remotely?). But you can re-use sensor information without compromising it.

Correct. Either ETHM-1 [Plus] (ethernet) or INT-RS [Plus] (serial) is required.

+1, see my concerns and suggestions in Satel binding docs: https://docs.openhab.org/addons/bindings/satel1/readme.html#security-considerations

Correct. …but insurers don’t care what system you have. They only look for an alarm monitoring certificate.

That’s what my insurer said when I asked her about this.

If you’re not monitoring then the main reasons for not using openHAB is that it might get corrupted if there is a power cut or the SD drive might fail or a bug may just stop it working.

I wrote up an example over in the Solutions section of how to read some Status data from a Telenot Complex 400 Alarm System. As voiced above, this is a double-edged sword, since it connects a System that is originally designed to be closed and tamperproof to an outside Network.

There are other Alarm Systems that have a direct bus Integration (i.e. there is also a KNX board for the Telenot 400 which allows you to get the contacts’ Status on the KNX bus without opening up two way communication).

I think/hope most communicating alarms offer setup options that allow remote reporting, while limiting remote control.

On the insurance topic, this obviously depends on local custom and nature of the risk e.g. I’m on business premises. The key thing is don’t assume, “ask your insurers”

Most alarm panels have an interface. That’s how you add extra keypads. EyezOn Envisalink and alarmdecoder are just basically keypads as far as the alarm is concerned. They both hook up directly to the Bus terminals.

Hi,
I made my new house 1 years ago and I decided to have different technologies for home automation, alarm and monitoring; so I used KNX for Home Automation, OH as supervisor and ELMO as Alarm.
The 3 technologies work perfect together because ELMO (as many other type of Alarm systems) has the KNX interfaces and it works perfect with OH. In this way you can control all about your alarm with OH (switch on/off/partial, use the sensors and create all type of scenario).
In my case, for example, I use the sensors of the alarm in the rooms to switch on/off the lights when someone come in/exit and there is no light, to switch on the warm water circulator, set a kind of “standby” of the house when no presence is detected for 15 min., to switch on all the external lights when the alarm was trigged etc…
For me, as someone just said, it’s better to have a dedicated (and professional) system for security that works indipendently.

I’m using DSC which works nicely, but alarm detectors are good at movement but don’t have light detection built-in so you will need to think about that. I have used a combination or sunset sunrise rules and a UV detector to decide if lights should come on.

I use Honeywell pir sensors since they are imnune to pets. We have 2 cats :slight_smile:

Hi there, very interesting set up you describe. Were you able to get all your additional electronics into the Namco computer unit box? Could you share some pictures of how you did it?