Can Exceptions caused by Rules DSL include line number in log?

When debugging errors and exceptions in rules I sometimes see rule file name or rule name but I don’t see which line number in the rule file that caused the error.

As a programmer I find that odd and unusual. I don’t like to resort to log statements which may themselves cause errors, and try catch is a separate concern that should not be mixed into rules just for the sake of pinpointing an error.

Adding %L to log config does not yield the correct line number, as also hinted here.

The simplest illustration I could come up with would be this, with the expected line number 5:

rule "Exception line number"
when
  System startup
then
  logInfo("test " + 1/0)
end

Which logs this:

2020-04-28 20:42:01.259 [ERROR] [.model.rule.runtime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl:  319] - Rule 'Exception line number': / by zero

using this log pattern:

log4j2.appender.out.layout.pattern = %d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} [%-5.5p] [%-50.50c:%5.5L] - %m%n

This is of course a trivial example, but rules can easily become unwieldy as I’m sure you know.

As long as it’s not possible, Rules DSL is clearly not for me.

There aren’t likely to be any enhancements to Rules DSL at this stage

Sometimes they do, but something like your divide by zero would not, even if you used a try/catch. The new rule engine with scripted automation, Jython and the helper libraries does provide the line number of the exception.

1 Like