Can openHAB automatically shut off all zwave devices after a certain period of time?

Is it possible to set a shut down timer or a rule in openHAB, on a raspberry pi 3, with zwave devices.

It is for a summer house that’s set up with all zwave devices, but I want to set a shutdown timer for 4 months.(May, June, July, August)

And for September 1st, all the devices will shut off automatically because we would be out of the summer house by that time.

Do you mean you want openHAB to instruct zwave devices to turn off?

Or do you want openHAB to ignore them? (What does your openHAB usually do about them?)

let openHAB to ignore all rules on zwaves devices.

So on august 31st, the zwave motion sensor would be on, if there is no motion for 20 minutes, it would instruct the smart plug to turn off.

Come September 1st, the zwave motion sensor is still on because it is still plugged in, but it won’t trigger the smart plug to turn on or off.

Is the sensor bound to the smart plug outside of openHAB?

raspberry pi 3B+ running openHAB, with zstick gen 3 plugged in as antenna for all the zwave devices.

so physically connected devices are just raspberry pi and zstick

motion sensor is plugged to the wall for electricity.

It should be possible with rules. What have you researched & tried?

We are here to help you configure & understand your system. We do not have the volunteer resources to provide & support complete solutions. The expire binding could be used with a delay timer Item switch.

I was more thinking: is the sensor controlling the switch directly, or is it all through openHAB? If the latter, I would:

1. Create a new Switch Item called something like sItsSummer
  2. Create two Cron triggered rules, one which turns sItsSummer ON on 1st May, and the other which turns sItsSummer OFF on 1st September.
  3. Adjust all your other rules to check the state of sItsSummer, and only continue with the rule if this Item is ON.

This is only a suggestion, and there’s probably more elegant methods. Maybe ephemeris?

I am a new user who uses Paper UI, so I don’t know how to code linux.

so I am just looking for ideas that I can research upon, all ideas are welcome!

1 Like

But the openHAB documentation tells you how to create openHAB rules. They would work the same if you ran openHAB on Windows. There is no such thing as a user to “code Linux”

You should not helplessly use an OS you do not understand except for learning about it. OpenHAB is primarily developed on Linux and macOS though.

Since you’re not configuring with rules at the moment, it sounds like your openHAB is not currently managing any linkage between say motion sensing and light.
If it’s not managing that, then it’s not managing that, and you will not be able to change the way it is managed by date.

openHAB is perfectly capable of doing what you ask, but you would need to use more features of openHAB.

1 Like

While it’s certainly beneficial to get up to speed on rules coding, you could get along without by using the expire binding. Then again to make use of its full potential you would need to add some simple rules nonetheless.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.