Cannot save the InfluxDB.conf file

Hi,
I’m running openHAB 2.4.0.1 on an RaspberryPi 3 Model B and I would like to install InfluxDB + Grafana.
Now I’d like to access the /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf file from my MacBook via Samba. The problem is when I open the config file with sudo nano /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf and edit it I can not save the changes (nothing happens when I press “Y” (after “^X”) to confirm). Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?

On your Mac, sudo gives you root permission to edit the file on your Mac. The file you are editing resides in your RPi. Running sudo on your Mac does not give you permissions on the RPi.

You need to either make this file’s permissions so they can be edited by the user Samba is configured to use it you need to ssh to the RPi and edit it with sudo on the RPi itself.

Thanks for your quick answer Rich,
I have tried to edit the influxdb.conf file on the RPi itself, but without any result I still cannot save the file.

Then there is something wrong with the file system on the pi or the permissions of the file on the RPi. If you cannot edit the file with sudo that means the file system is in read only mode for some reason or something else is really wrong.

But in all cases, you probably need to go to an RPi forum as this is all outside the scope of openHAB so there are not as many people here how can help.

Thanks for your recommendation, I’ll try.