Cannot start Thing in Control

Just installed openHAB on Windows 10, Intel NUC, and am following the tutorial which shows how to set up ‘John’s Mobile’.
I used my mobile name and at the step whereby my Thing is displayed in Control, it is there, but I cannot move the slider to turn it on.

Hi David,

You can’t use openHAB to turn your mobile phone on or off. That toggle is just showing the current status of the phone. So, “OFF” means “openHAB isn’t detecting your phone” and “ON” means “openHAB sees your phone on the network”.

What this means is that openHAB hasn’t actually found your phone, so some debugging is required.

It would make more sense if instead of a toggle it said “Online/Offline”, but PaperUI has limited features and is not intended to be your primary interface for controlling your home. It’s actually been removed from the new OH3 that’s nearing release.

If you’re just getting started, I’d actually recommend jumping straight into OH3. However, be warned that the documentation is in development. If you’re up for it, we’d love to get more feedback from truly new users on what does and doesn’t make sense, and you could even contribute. It’s really valuable when people who don’t have pre-existing knowledge say “I don’t get this”.

@rlkoshak, sorry to bother you, but I’m not sure where best to direct new users for the OH3 documentation since you’re in the process of moving it.

The wiki page series is still the best source for now until I can finish moving them over and they get built into the next.openhab.org/docs. [wiki] Building Pages in the OH3 UI: documentation draft (1/3)

1 Like

Thanks, Rich! I’m on holidays starting next week, so I’m going to take the plunge with a scratch OH3 installation. I’ll be sure to add my thoughts as I do the reading.

Thank you Russ.
I am going to install OH3.

1 Like