Can't get manually installed binding active

Hi all,
I could use some help with this. I am trying to install/activate a 1.0 binding that the author says works for 2.0 as well. I have legacy binding on. I have dropped the json file into the addons folder. It does not show in the Paper UI, but in the karaf console, under bundle:list, it does how as “Installed” – all other ones show as “active” that were installed on the UI.

So, am I missing something to get this active? Thank you.

I should mention, this is for a Russound RNET device.

Did you configure the binding yet? (This has to be made either through services/russound.cfg or through openhab.cfg)

Thanks Udo,

I have not (I am very new with this). I dont see any binding specific files in the system folder or elsewhere. Should they be created on startup? Or I new to create the files?

I think, as you installed it manually, you will have to do the config also manually :slight_smile:
As this is a OH1 Binding, you will have to create a file /etc/openhab2/services/russound.cfg with the content

################################# Russound ############################################
# Enter the host IP of the computer which has exposed the RNET serial communication via the 
# python script tcp_serial_redirect.py
# eg. python ./tcp_serial_redirect.py -b 19200 /dev/ttyUSB0 
# this script effectively makes the serial connection (via /dev/ttyUSB0 port on my linux)
# available on the internal network, uses port 7777 by default.
# This allows one to have the serial connection to the Russound devices on a different computer
# than the Openhab executable

# Enter the port(optional) (7777) and host ip 
# 
host=192.168.1.30
#port=7777

Of course you have to change the ip to your russound ip.
Maybe this doesn’t work as expected, then you can try the other file etc/openhab2/services/openhab.cfg
You will have to write a russound: in front of any option referring to russound, say

russound:host=192.168.1.30
#russound:port=7777

If changing the port, delete the # as this is the comments sign.

1 Like

Thank you for the excellent instructions, but they are not working for me. I tried both .cfg files and restarted openhab. Once done, should the binding show on the paper UI?

Note, I am using iTach for serial connection, as i was not able to get it set up with USB to serial on Pi.

I believe that you mean the *.jar file into the addons (/usr/share/openhab2/addons) folder… right? (not json)

If the binding status shows up as “Installed” and not “Active” it is usually due to some unresolved dependency.
Try the bundle:resolve <id> and/or bundle:requirements <id> commands in the karaf console (maybe this will help)

Manually installed bindings do not show up in the Paper UI list of Add-Ons

Thank you Dim,

Yes, you are correct. .jar file from here
https://ci.m.quailholdings.com/job/openhab1-russound/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/bundles/binding/org.openhab.binding.russound/target/org.openhab.binding.russound-1.10.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

trying bundle:resolve 193 returns nothing, but
bundle:requirements 193 says Bundle 193 is not resolved.

Try feature:install openhab-runtime-compat1x
It should work after that :stuck_out_tongue: (hopefully)

Ok, yes, that made it active! thanks

Now, bear with me, i restarted and go into paper UI, but still cant add the Russound device as a thing / i have that attached to a iTach, which i have added that binding. Any further clues?

With 1.x bindings, you need to configure your OH2 system as described by Udo above

You can’t use the Paper UI to configure this binding and there are no Things available for 1.x bindings (only for 2.x)

By the way: Why not use the 2.x version of this binding? (http://docs.openhab.org/addons/bindings/russound/readme.html)
I am not familiar with the Russound products :frowning:

Ok, i had kept in place the russound.cfg file. The official one is for Rio products, and this one uses RNET protocol. Hopefully it will be updated soon. But for now I want see if OpenHAB can control my russound. I have had a heck of a time, probably b/c i am new to all this.