Cant get new GE Zwave Switch working -- need help

Ive been configuring openhab for several weeks. I am using an Aeotec Z-stick Gen5. Just sent back some GE zwave dimmers which did not have association, and have one Cooper dimmer currently working fine. I have installed mochad x10 and have that working with my old x10 stuff and am trying to add some zwave devices. Also have a nice rules file working. But I must say I am a bit frustrated. My latest devices are a “Smart Switch” and a Smart Dimmer from GE. They are very new devices, and seem well made, but will not configure. I have found I have to do all kinds of things to get the devices installed and recognized, including rebooting Raspbian and plugging/unplugging hardware, and including and excluding multiple times… I finally got the xml files and submitted the online device info for the dimmer. Cant tell if that has been approved/put out or not. Have uninstalled and reinstalled zwave many times.
The devices show up in PaperUI, but show as “Unknown Device”, and offer no channels.
This morning I found some information which says I can use these devices without the online database approval, and I have been on a quest all day to figure out how to manually configure the things/channels/devices.
How to configure a zwave thing by text file is most unclear.
Here is what I have in paper UI:
Z-Wave Node 5 (0063:5052:3038:5.21)
Here is what I have tried in the items file:
Switch GE_Smart_Switch “Smart Switch” (MBR) { channel=“zwave:device:5b3e6683:node5:switch_binary” }
Here is the log error I get:
2017-05-21 14:05:18.247 [WARN ] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Cannot delegate command ‘ON’ for item ‘GE_Smart_Switch’ to handler for channel ‘zwave:device:5b3e6683:node5’, because no thing with the UID ‘zwave:device:5b3e6683’ could be found.

Odd it seems to strip off the node5. I am wondering if the channel is undefined, and that is the problem. Do not know how to manually create the channel in the things directory. My strategy would be to remove the thing in paperUI, and manually create the thing in text along with the channel which should work, if I knew the syntax.

So, I have spend hours and days on this with no luck. Hate to send back these nice switches or something more drastic. Anyone have a solution path to offer. thanks.