Cant view channel under Things/Things not showing up under Control in paper UI

• Platform information:

• Hardware: _Intel I7. 16 gig ram
    • Windows 7
    • java version 8. Build 1.8.0_221
    • openHAB version: 2.5.0M2 Milestone
  • Issue of the topic: Hello all. Beginner at openHAB. I was able to get everything installed including Hue binding. The bulbs did appear in my inbox and i was able to add them at Things in the paper UI. However, when in the Things tab i cannot select the Hue bulb to see the channels. Also the bulbs do not appear under the control tab.

OpenHAB does see changes in the status of the bulbs when i change the bulbs manually (through HUE app) which is reflected in the Log.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Welcome Joseph to the OpenHAB community!
Are you saying that if you, for instance click on the Hue ambiance lamp 2 (which seems to be online) you are not sent to a page showing you the channels?
Why are so many of your devices offline? Did you know that if you cut power to your Hue bulbs, they have no way of communicating with OpenHAB?
Clicking on the little pencil to the right of the name should also send you to the page showing all the channels

Anyhow, important to understand that Paper user interface is really just an administrative interface made to provide a graphic interface for discovery and not as a end user interface
Again Welcome, good first post and we’ll get you going in no time

Thanks for the warm welcome Andrew_Rowe.

Are you saying that if you, for instance click on the Hue ambiance lamp 2 (which seems to be online) you are not sent to a page showing you the channels?

Yes. That is correct. Clicking the pencil does nothing as well. However, I am able to disable the thing as well as delete the thing.

Why are so many of your devices offline? Did you know that if you cut power to your Hue bulbs, they have no way of communicating with OpenHAB?

Yes. Currently I dont have switches for all of my lights yet so occasionally i turn them off from the switch at the wall. I realize that by cutting them off this way prevents openHAB from communicating with them. I intend on leaving the wall switch in the “on” position indefinitely once i get things set up better.

Anyhow, important to understand that Paper user interface is really just an administrative interface made to provide a graphic interface for discovery and not as a end user interface

Good thing to keep in mind. Thanks.

OK, you seem to have a really great grasp of how things work for a new guy, there have been some funny issues with Paper UI in the latest build, this may be a buggy… some reports of stuff not showing in Paper UI yet being actually set properly. Please try testing in another interface (habmin, basic ui or karaf console) and confirm not just a display problem in Paper UI

1 Like