Celebrate Setup and questions

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: _CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage_Gigabyte Brix i5, 32 GB ram 500GB m.2 (yes i know overkill)
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version Zulu 8
    • openHAB version: 2.4 (latest)
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue Celebrate Setup but have a few questions
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):

Hey all,

When I first started this project 1 week or so ago it was with the intention that it will initially be a backup for my Wink 2 Hub we have had a few Wink outages recently and one Power outage in which the lights would not respond to wink without repairing. Doing this at 3 in the morning is trying at best. This is to allow my wife who suffers from MS to still control the lights in the house that do not have switches on the wall. After 1 week and moving from Debian in a ESXI to Windows 10 esix to Windows 10 directly installed. I’m happy to announce that I have the GoControl working properly. Some of this most likely is due to having trouble finding answers easily. Things like Hardware/software control, Baud speeds and the like… I have the Binding for Z-wave and Zigbee online in PaperUI and even linked Amazon which can communicate with both my echo’s.

Here comes my questions.

1. My plan was to have both Wink and openHab control the lights. The bulbs do not seem to allow 2 connections to them.
  2. Since the Hub2 controls all the lights I was thinking of placing 1 light on openhub and the rest on Wink for testing. Then I want to test a simulated Wink outage and a internet outage. Does anyone know if the openHAB android app needs internet access if it’s on the same wifi as the phone?

IF anyone has a better idea or needs more information in order to best help me. PLEASE do not hesitate in asking. I’m also looking to help make her life that much easier so if anyone has a loved one in the same situation and has already gone through this i’m all ears.

In don’t know the Wink Hub 2 but found some information on the wink pages.
The only way I could see to control your light with Wink and openHAB at the same time is to connect the lights to openHAB via Z-Wave and ZigBee bindings and the according “controllers” (e.g. AEON Z-Wave stick or ZigBee shield for raspberry …)
You could then use the HUE emulation to expose your lights to Wink, as the HUB 2 supports connections to a HUE bridge.
But in my opinion, this makes the Wink Hub obsolete, which is not bad, cause you dont rely on their cloud.
Regarding your secon question, openHAB Android app can be used without internet connection if the openHAB server and the Android device are within the same local network.

Thank you for this information, I was opening not to do this as it really doesn’t test the way i wanted to. I actually had 3 extra bulbs laying around so instead I hooked them up and openHAB found 2 almost immediately. They are working properly and I’m moving to test the cloud connect, web app and Alexa. The connect still shows offline but i hooked it up only about 10 mins ago.