Chamberlain MyQ Binding

Maybe it has something to do with this:

You’re probably right. $10 for a year is not too bad. OTOH, I’ve been pretty unimpressed with the reliability of their service. I hate paying for stuff that doesn’t work well.

I feel the same way as well. I would give it a try and if the service continued to be unreliable, I would roll my own arduino with a magnetic switch and a relay to control the door.
Even just recently, the MyQ binding has reported the garage door as open when it is really closed. Openhab sends me a text when it has been open longer than half an hour.

My Openhab installation will not control the garage doors as of 2 days ago. I assume Chamberlain changed something (again) to prevent third party usage. The MyQ app still works. If anyone has any advise to get this to work I would appreciate it. If not, is there a garage door opener that does not rely on a cloud service? I was thinking Insteon but their binding was broke a few weeks ago when an upgrade was pushed. Granted they were very fast to fix it but I’m becoming very leary of anything that is not 100% local control.

1 Like

@cbaxter I just checked mine. It’s still working. I’ve been spammed by error messages from MyQ server. It’s annoying but so far it doesn’t affect the functionality yet.

It’s working now. I uninstalled and reinstalled the binding and it worked.
If you are getting some “cookie rejected” errors, @sockmeister has a fix on this thread:

You just add a couple of lines to the logging.cfg file with:

sudo vim /var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg
and add the following lines.

log4j2.logger.httpclient.name = org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase
log4j2.logger.httpclient.level = ERROR

Is anyone’s MYQ still connecting? I am seeing this error in my logs and wondering if has to do with Chamberlain now charging to use their API?

Could not connect to MyQ service
java.io.IOException: Request Failed: Unknown resonse
	at org.openhab.binding.myq.internal.MyqData.request(MyqData.java:247) ~[265:org.openhab.binding.myq:1.13.0.201809230109]
	at org.openhab.binding.myq.internal.MyqData.getMyqData(MyqData.java:128) ~[265:org.openhab.binding.myq:1.13.0.201809230109]
	at org.openhab.binding.myq.internal.MyqBinding.poll(MyqBinding.java:210) [265:org.openhab.binding.myq:1.13.0.201809230109]
	at org.openhab.binding.myq.internal.MyqBinding.access$0(MyqBinding.java:202) [265:org.openhab.binding.myq:1.13.0.201809230109]
	at org.openhab.binding.myq.internal.MyqBinding$1.run(MyqBinding.java:407) [265:org.openhab.binding.myq:1.13.0.201809230109]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

I saw these errors, as well as a bunch of timeouts. The errors seem to have stopped about 2.5 hours ago (1:30 PM US EDT).

I’m now seeing a bunch of these errors. I don’t see them on 100% of the transactions, so I suspect it’s something wrong with their service.

2018-10-07 08:33:09.343 [DEBUG] [ing.chamberlainmyq.internal.HttpUtil] - Method failed: 500 Internal Server Error
2018-10-07 08:33:09.343 [DEBUG] [handler.ChamberlainMyQGatewayHandler] - Received MyQ JSON: {"ReturnCode":"217","ErrorMessage":"Error processing request (217)","CorrelationId":"XXXXXXXX"}
2018-10-07 08:33:09.344 [DEBUG] [handler.ChamberlainMyQGatewayHandler] - myq ReturnCode: 217
2018-10-07 08:33:09.344 [ERROR] [handler.ChamberlainMyQGatewayHandler] - Request Failed: Unknow resonse
2018-10-07 08:33:09.344 [ERROR] [handler.ChamberlainMyQGatewayHandler] - An exception occurred while executing a request to the Gateway: 'null'
1 Like

On the Wink Facebook page, tons of people have been saying their Chamberlain stuff hasn’t been working correctly the last two days. I assume they are having server issues.

1 Like

Yes, it seems better now. Those errors have gone away.

However, I continue to see sporadic timeouts throughout the day. I see some transactions succeed in 6-7 seconds, falling just under the 8 second timeout. So, I’m going to increase the timeout config parameter a bit to see if I can reduce the number of transactions that time out.

@scooter_seh Next time you’re in the code, it would be great if you could consider the following changes:

• at debug log level, log the transaction time to make it easier to track the performance of their API
  • remove the IOException stack trace when a timeout occurs, since the cause of the exception is pretty clear and it will reduce noise in the log file

Hello,
I’m considering getting a Chamberlain MYQ-G0301 for use with a Liftmaster garage door that I have. It looks like it supports door control and position, but I’m concerned about the last few messages here. If I’m using it with OH2, will I have any connection to their servers? I’d prefer that it’s isolated from them. Thanks.

The binding accesses their cloud service. Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any way to control the device directly. It’s made worse by the poor reliability of their cloud service. I’ve heard that they plan to start charging for the use of the cloud service. If that happens, I’ll likely spring for a Z-Wave garage door opener.

I was able to reduce the number of timeouts by increasing the HTTP Request Timeout value to 25 seconds. Now I only get a couple of timeouts every day.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll steer clear.

Hello, I see in /usr/share/openhab2/addons I have 2.4 version of the jar. but I am not getting this in discovery. any idea why? thanks.

I’m going to replace the openers in my garage in the next few weeks and have been looking into controlling and monitoring them remotely with my Android or some other web access. The Liftmaster units appear to be good, but what is the most reliable method of interfacing with an opener with OpenHAB? Like others, I’m hesitant to be reliant on MyQ servers to access my garage.

Hey everyone. I added the binding through the Paper UI > Add Ons > Bindings > Chamberlain MyQ Binding (binding-myq1 - 1.13.0).

The problem is that the binding doesn’t show up in Configuration > Bindings. I added my credentials to services/myq.cfg

My error log shows:

2019-01-22 22:03:28.074 [ERROR] [nhab.binding.myq.internal.MyqBinding] - Could not connect to MyQ service
java.io.IOException: Could not parse response

Is this because Chamberlain changed something or am I doing something wrong? I have HomeBridge up and running and it communicates with the garage door and the lights no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Did you remove the spaces before the username and password field? Also does your password have any special characters? I think the ampersand and question mark characters cause issues. If you change your password to exclude the special characters and it works, please PM the character(s) and I will try to reproduce it and see if I can fix it for future versions.

Thanks for answering Scott. As soon as you mentioned special characters, I knew exactly what was wrong. I put quotes around the user name and the password. Removed them and we’re good.

Still, not seeing the binding in Configuration > Binding. Also, it is showing that version 1.13 is installed and in this thread it looks like you’re up to 2.4. Is installing the latest as easy as dropping it in openhab2-addons? I think I need to try the latest version.

It showed up! I guess I’m not patient enough. :grinning:
I can see my garage door and the lights.
Thanks again!!