Chamberlain MyQ Binding

Their site shows IFTTT support, perhaps that’s a method to connect this up?

You need to pay for IFTTT now and you need to pay subscription to myq to use it. Double pay

Ah heck ok, I haven’t used IFTTT in a while, but it was free back then. thanks

Anyone have a good source for Shelly 1 relays?

directly from their website?

Please see my guide on how to replace MyQ with a Shelly linked below. All parts (including the shelly) are linked in the OP.

Hope this helps!

Another option here is to let us talk directly to the Garage Door unit / MyQ Bridge. I’m fine with either, but keeping the traffic local is preferred for me.

Yeah, what’S going on here is security issue. MyQ is doing a lot more then just garage door opener (myq/chamberlain) and they integrate everything together. So since it’s a door, I think that’s why they don’t want an open system.

Yes, security and corporate liability as well I imagine.
On that topic also if you do decide to use a Shelly or Zigbee or Z-wave type approach as has been mentioned above MAKE SURE YOU SECURE YOUR DEVICE CONNECTION. Do not depend on it being secure just because of your “wireless network is password protected!” That is not enough also turn off the hot spot function and Bluetooth and cloud access if you are not actually using them in you solution as they are alternate ways to trigger the device outside of your automation solution. Also, most folks treat Garage doors being closed like a locked front door but really it is just a closed door no real lock is engaged. Lots of stories about how bad folks are using simple coat hangers to reach in from top of door and hook the emergency release pull rope and pop it on a garage door opener and then simply lifting the door up manually.
Consider an addition to your rule that if the door sensor state changes and it is not expected (triggered from your automation solution) that some type of notification occurs. Consider having a timed reminder as well that can be rule based for after dark if the door is open for a specific period of time as well. Yes it could be a family member using the remote or even the wall button still better to have a notification then not to and find out some morning that your door mysteriously opened up in the middle of the night or you forgot to close it before bed.

1 Like

yeah I already have that implemented on my end. Opening and closing of garage door is notified when my alarm system is enabled. Or if I turn on the notification option.

Cloth hanger to pull the cord, for me, they’ll need a good 6 feet before reaching it but I guess an experimented person could.

That’s also why when I leave, I enable the garage lock that insert to big metal pin on each side that can only be release with a key

You never know. 6 foot clothes hangers are all the rage now.

Very good points.

I think this is officially killed: Chamberlain Group | A Message About our Decision to Prevent…

1 Like

I sent a message through the partner request to see if they would make openhab a partner… who knows…

Curious to hear what they say. Their list of partners is essentially a short list of bit players each working with their own closed ecosystems, with the exception of IFTTT. It’s in the news a bit as well.

At any rate I’ve pulled the ripcord on this myq pia, my Shelly relays are ordered and on the way.

I got the worst reply I could have. I asked if openhab could become a partner and the answer is “we are sorry to hear you are having issue. We did put a statement regarding third party apps and partner that you can read here:. Thank you!”.

I had a spare Zooz ZEN16 and a spare LiftMaster remote control lying around, so put together this solution this morning:

The ZEN16 has an “Auto-off” option for each relay that I set to 1 second to mimic a momentary button push.

Already had a z-wave tilt sensor on each door. The only loss by this move is no longer knowing if the door is currently opening/closing, or stopped partially open.

I would think if you had a tilt sensor on each panel of the door you could even determine those states as well.
Also a simple series voltage regulator IC that derives a 3.3 volt source from the supply that the zen 16 is running off would eliminate the coin battery as a failure /Maintenace item.

I don’t get why you don’t have this information since you have tilt sensor on each panel. What’s the use of that if they aren’t use? Pretty easy to make a rule “closing” once close button is pushed from open position and vice versa.

I have one tilt sensor per door, not per panel. I could add one per panel, but that would create a battery-maintenance nightmare that wouldn’t be worth the trade-off for me.

I might add a 5v → 3.3v adaptor to power the transmitter at some point, but those garage clickers can go 5-10 years on a battery, so probably won’t bother.