Clone installation openhabian and write it to another SD

Hello community
For security reasons, I´ve created a image of an openhabian installation (For this I have used Win32DiskImager) and write it into another SD card with the same program (Win32DiskImager),but this installation Does not take IP configuration, that is way I can not see it in my Network, for that reason I could not gain acces trough SSH.
Could someone give me some guidance about that,I need create a copy of my installation for security reasons.
Thanks.

Win32DiskImager is not the best program if the target SD is even a single bit smaller than your source SD card. Instead try using the steps in this thread to backup and restore the card…

1 Like

Hello matt1

Thanks for to reply, I have heard about of Amanda Backup, I will research about the others programs you mentioned.

Thanks for your advice.

To be clear, I am recommending Paragon Hard Disk Manager which can be used for free (after registering the product) to do what you wish. ie create a bit accurate copy of a SD card onto another card even if it is a different sized card. Amanda does backup partitions but I have never used it. Under Linux you can use great opensource programs but they are no where near as user friendly as Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

1 Like

Thanks for clarify me this subject, right now I am finding the program and I it will install.
I will tell you my results.

I am using win32diskimager all the time to clone my openhabian installation. It is correct, that it is not that flexible with card size, you always need a device of same size or larger.

But nevertheless, it should boot and take the ip address. The problem is not the cloning procedure but something else. It is not unlikely that you will run into the same problem with a different cloning procedure.

1 Like

Pls also read my response in that thread

Here’s a link how I reduced my SD footprint, but don’t do that with your active card, only with the backup one.
http://www.netzmafia.de/skripten/hardware/RasPi/SD_Karte_verkleinern.html

You can also use Amanda to create and restore an image and then use pishrink before you use dd to write it to the new SD card. Works on the go, i.e. no need to shutdown OH meanwhile.

1 Like

Hi,

Not sure if this will hep but I use rpi-cone for taking snapshots of my running SD to a second one, it basically uses rsync to replicate the source to destination and the destination is bootable.

I use this for any OS/OH upgrades and the process has worked fine so far, I have it run automatically via cron once per week and then I can run it manually as required, every now and then I shut the RP down and swap the cards to ensure the clone boots without issues.

I also have rsync running from the pi to a NAS for additional backups, again cron controlled, for belt in braces.

K.

1 Like

Here’s another way to clone your SD card that works with Windows, MacOS and Linux.

1 Like

A lot of thanks to all, every suggestion is valuable, I will test all one by one. Regarding the accurate result, I will choose one and will let you know the procedure and results.

Thank you very much

Hello community.

I create a copy of my openhabian installation using program Paragon Hard Disk manager which was suggested in this thread, I want let you that such copy works very well, even the UUID and SECRET keys used for register OpenhabCloud service have not changed (These are the same of original Installation), this was for my a great happy surprise. I thougt that such codes would change.
Within the next days I will test Amanda Backup and will comunicate my results.

Thanks

You may run into IP-trouble because of the differen MAC address of the network card of your other Raspberry Pi. This is the one thing you didn’t (and cannot) clone. So your router’s DHCP server WILL notice that this is a different device and will assign an unused IP address for this new device. This is done to keep the old IP unused so that your “old” Raspberry Pi can have its IP back as soon as it comes online.

Have a look into your router’s configuration and clear any previous IP reservation you may have created for your first Raspberry Pi, then create a new reservation for your desired IP address and the NEW Raspberry Pi’s MAC address or device name.

Hello gersilex.

Thanks for advice me about , I will take your suggest into account, but in this case I have used the same Raspberry Pi, for that reason The Mac address and IP direction are the same.

Thanks again.

Oh, I have totally misunderstood you, then. Sorry for bothering. I have no other idea, either.

Always is good account with some guidance, your post does not bother at all, but your advice always are welcome…