[Closed] Serial Binding: No Errors and still no Data

After having successfully tested all the serial items and rules on Windows I want to move it to openHAB running on a Linux machine.

Except the changed serial port the configuration of openHAB is the very same in Windows and Linux.

The serial device is detected in my Linux machine:
dmesg

[320913.597066] usb 1-1.2: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Doing a cat on this device gives the expected serial data:
cat /dev/ttyUSB0

Then I checked who the device belongs to using ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0:

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Mai  5 09:40 /dev/ttyUSB0

Because running openHAB as user automark I changed that:
sudo chown automark /dev/ttyUSB0

crw-rw---- 1 automark dialout 188, 0 Mai  5 09:40 /dev/ttyUSB0

Also I verified if the user automark is part of the dialout group:
groups automark.

Then reading the instructions for the serial binding I added a line to the bottom of start.sh:

... \
        -console \
        -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0

Now I could switch the item bound to the serial port to work with Linux (file serial.items)

// Windows
//String  serialRx "Serial-Rx [%s]"  <text>    { serial="COM5@115200,REGEX((.*?))" }

// Linux
String  serialRx "Serial-Rx [%s]"  <text>    { serial="/dev/ttyUSB0@115200,REGEX((.*?))" }

With this preparation I started openHAB in DEBUG mode.
There I get this:

11:25:41.817 [INFO ] [c.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl:80   ] - Loading model 'serial.items'
11:25:41.830 [DEBUG] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider:154  ] - Processing binding configs for items from model 'serial.items'
11:25:41.838 [DEBUG] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider:133  ] - Read items from model 'serial.items'
11:25:41.871 [DEBUG] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider:133  ] - Read items from model 'serial.items'

That looks OK to me even though the second line shows up several times.
But the item serialRX never gets updated.
However, the serial data still can be read using cat /dev/ttyUSB0.

Then I tried to provoke an error by changing the serial port to an invalid device. The log output show that the item file has been reloaded but still no error message like serial port could not be found.

11:39:47.709 [INFO ] [c.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl:98   ] - Refreshing model 'serial.items'
11:39:47.736 [DEBUG] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider:154  ] - Processing binding configs for items from model 'serial.items'
11:39:47.741 [DEBUG] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider:133  ] - Read items from model 'weather.items'
11:39:47.743 [DEBUG] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider:133  ] - Read items from model 'udp.items'
11:39:47.745 [DEBUG] [i.internal.GenericItemProvider:133  ] - Read items from model 'serial.items'

So this refresh also triggers the updated of other item files which are not connected to the serial item - at least not by user configurations.

The question is:
There are no errors and no data. What did I miss when changing the configuration to work with Linux?
It looks like the configuration is parsed correctly but somehow ignored.

Maybe some more information:
I’m using Jessie on a Raspberry Pi.
openHAB 1.8.3 was installed manually, that’s why in the pervious post I’ve added
-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0
to start.sh

In this post it’s suggested to use something like this:

String  serialRx "Serial-Rx [%s]"  <serial>    { serial="/dev/ttyUSB0@115200,REGEX((.*?))" }

The previsous icon text has been replaced by serial.
Unfortunately in my case this didn’t help.

After a reinstall it finally works - same configuration.

So I’ve just found another way to waste a day…