Hi all. I’m new to openHAB, so I apologize if I’m not posting this question in the correct place (or if the answer is obvious).
I’m wondering if openHAB has the concept of overlapping zones.
Here’s the kind of thing I’m looking at doing…
Let’s say we have 5 lights, named L1 through L5. I would like to have two zones: Zone Z1 which includes L1, L2 and L3, and zone Z2 which includes L3, L4 and L5.
- Let’s say all lights are initially off.
- Something happens and I need to turn on everything in zone Z1, so commands go out to L1, L2 and L3 to turn them on.
- Something happens and I need to turn on everything in zone Z2, so commands go out to L4 and L5 to turn them on – L3 doesn’t need to be told to turn on because it’s already on.
- Something happens and I need to turn off zone Z1, so commands go out to L1 and L2 to turn them off, but nothing is sent to L3 because it is still on as part of zone Z2.
- Something happens and I need to turn off zone Z2, so commands go out to L3, L4 and L5 to turn them off.
Any ideas on if something like this already exists? From what I’ve been reading, “groups” is not quite what I’m looking for (please correct me if I’m wrong).
Thank you for your time.