Config file updates only in effect after a restart

That is a bit too cryptic for me. How is looking at my log files going to make Smart designer work?
and though I appreciate the input, it is not going to solve my 'having to restart’issue

Sorry, misunderstanding: you will see in your openhab.log the same errors as when opening a file with ESHD and validate the file. So for syntax errors you actually don’t need the ESHD anymore, you will see the error in your log file. AND the system probably won’t start if you have any errors. So first thing to do is checking your openhab.log

Nope

Great… and that is exactly what I want again coz having to do a clear cache/restart really is a dealbraker

Agreed. To find out the cause: check your openhab.log for any errors. I don’t think it will be error free …

Best way would be to start in debug mode …

Rick Thanks.
I have no idea how I run it. It is just “Openhabian hassle free install”

There is a config menu option “Fix permissions” or something similar, try it. Otherwise I don’t use openHABian, so cannot tell anything more.

The only error that I see is this one:
FrameworkEvent ERROR - org.eclipse.smarthome.automation.core
org.osgi.framework.ServiceException: Exception in org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.getService()

That does not tell me much

I appreciate that, but I do not want to go the way of having to clear my cache and restart
i just want to openhab to reflect the changes I make immediately, as it was and as apparently you have it

A lot of those errors get fixed when clearing cache and tmp folder.

Why not? It does not change your system, you don’t have to install any bindings, you don’t have to add your things again, you just need a little bit of patience because the restart takes a little longer :hear_no_evil:

Maybe we have misunderstanding.
i do not want to go through the trouble of having to stop openhab, clear my cache, start openhab again for every single thing I change in a sitemap, every time again

But perhaps you mean , just clear one time and everything will be fixed?

So I will give it a try to clear the cache

Yepp … could be fixed … perhaps … hopefully :grimacing:

well. at least it fixed something. About an hour ago all my rules stopped working. They seem to be back on line again :slight_smile: so thanks for even solving problems that I didnt even bring forward yet :slight_smile:

I will see if it solved my other problems.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and sorry about the misunderstanding about the cache clearing.
i will see if my initial problem now is solved :slight_smile:

Maybe it is wise to clear my cache everu other week or so.

UPDATE
sadly it did not solve my initial problem. When I change an item label from say
"Aquarium light" to “Aquarium” my application keeps insisting it is “Aquarium light”. I need to resrat openhab to be able to see the change

This is not an intended behaviour, probably it’s time to open a bug report.

Cheers, David

Thanks David. That seems like a good idea

What does your log tell you?
It should read something like

017-07-21 18:56:22.334 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model 'motion.items'

If this would be a general issue this forum would have been flooded with posts …

1 Like

It’s only needed a few times, mostly after upgrading.

Aquarium light
log does not tell me anything even remotely connected to that. I presume because it still is dealing with the ‘previous’ item file somewhere in cache… which was the original problem.

Nevertheless still useful coz I came across some other info/warning issues… nothing serious. but worth fixing

Bug
I presume you are right. That makes me I guess just a ‘statistic’ :wink:

Thanks. I will just clear it whenever I encounter weird problems again. Did wonders for my rules :slight_smile: