Configuration by file

Trying to move a working configuration from 1.7 to 2.0, some challenges. The PaperUI wont let me install/uninstall (just spins the cursor), can’t activate Logging persistence, remove unneeded extensions (WeMo). I know the latter doesn’t hurt,. but it bugs me :slightly_smiling:
Seems like configuration is NOT just controlled through cfg files in the system (e.g. I see activated stuff not called for the things file in the appropriate config directory). Any hints on where I find some definitely info on configuration storage/editing??

Did you change the package from demo to standard?
It is a known problem that you cannot deinstall add-ons which are part of the demo package as long as the demo is still installed.

Regarding configuration storage, you have basically two options:

1. Define stuff in the conf folder - this will have precedence over anything else. But you must be aware that these definitions are considered to be read-only by the system, i.e. if you define a Thing in a things-file, you e.g. cannot change it (or its configuratio) through the Paper UI.
  2. Use the UI or shell commands to do changes to the configuration; those changes are managed and persisted by the OSGi framework itself (within the userdata folder) - this information is not stored in human-readable form, so if you want to change it, you need to use the UI and shell again.

You can combine both ways in any way you like - it is your own responsibility to do it in a way that suits you best.

I’m planning to write some documentation about that, but unfortunately didn’t find the time yet…

“switch from demo to standard”? I pulled the offline ZIP and extractged from that. Just tried deleting the demo JAR from the distro folder but that got me nothing on startup

See https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/blob/master/docs/sources/getting-started.md#choosing-a-base-package-and-add-ons-to-be-installed