Confusion about config files (.items/.things/..)

Since two people have already admonished me because of the language and the title was simply translated into English WITHOUT reference to German text, I have translated the article with DeepL into English.

Hello together,

i have started to work with openHAB2 the last days.
**Here is a brief overview of the current situation.
Since I’m waiting since over a week for my Pi4 and the first SmartHome devices I installed openHAB2 yesterday on a virtual machine with UbuntuServer18.04 and as SmartHome device a nodeMCU which should send the text “Hello World” via MQTT to the broker for testing.
As first virtual house I created a laboratory with one room.
The text should be in the Chanel “Lab/test”.
After a lot of trial and error and with some frustration I have now managed to do that.
Also a WeatherBinding which shows me the current temperature here in the town is shown on the dashbord next to my Hello World text. So the first hurdles I have managed to overcome (I don’t want to talk about jumping yet).
**But now to the thing that confuses me: **
I managed to do the whole thing through the Paper UI. But I also tried to work with VisualStudioCode with the openHAB2 extension. First of all I hoped that when I create the Thing and the Item in the Paper UI, I would be able to see the entries in the config files in the VSC and understand the syntax and so on. I suspect that the syntax of devices like the nodeMCU (programmed via ArduinoIDE) looks different from the syntax of “finished” devices or flashed with Tasmota.
Unfortunately, although the thing is running somehow, I can’t find the entries in the directories.
Now the question is, did I install something wrong and the Paper UI accesses different directories than I did with VSC?
With VSC I access /etc/openhab2/ where the directories for items, things, sitemaps, etc. are.
Or is it normal that I can’t access things I create in Paper UI through VSC because they are not written to the files?

I would be happy if someone could enlighten me.
Many thanks and greetings
Mario

This is an international community, so English please.

1 Like

Things and items created in PaperUI are stored in userdata/jsondb and are not editable with VSCode.
You could edit these JSON files with a plain text editor but not while openHAB is tunning.

1 Like

At first, thank you for the information here the PaperUI store the items, things …

I now because the international community, but my english writing is not so good. I can read english textes but writing and speaking is a problem.
And i think, if I write a text like this will not be good undersand.

You will get more help/answers if using English as some of our most active users are not able to read or write German.
Otherwise, you should use a German forum.

Sure, I now the problem if I write german in an international community.
But I’m on the way to improve my english.

Now I think about the better way to configure things and items for/in openHAB2…
So I wand to use some nodeMCU, ESPs ans D1 mini so I think manually in VisualStudioCode will be the better way over time…?

It depends. For items and sitemaps, VSCode will give you syntax highlighting and checks, but not for things.
My suggestion would be to use devices/firmware that follow the homie standard for MQTT, as this would give you the autodiscovery feature in PaperUI. Pleas che the MQTT Binding documentation.

Yes, the most things I will make with smarthomedevices, but I have some projects they need a Arduino or controller like this.
I think I will learn create all in VisualStudioCode, so I have all things, items, … on one place.
But the time will show and teach me what is happend.

Hi Mario,
as Hans-Joerg explained, English is the communication-language here in the forum and you can find here a lot of information and hints, but as said, in English.
If you like to explain your problems in german, you can use a german forum, e.g here where you can ask your questions in your native language, for the first steps.

Edit: To look what your NodeMcu, D1Mini, etc. is sending to your broker, you can use a little tool, like “MQTT.fx”

1 Like

Yeah, I got that.
But the fact that the title has now been translated into English without the reference to German is wrong!
The pointer with the German forum …

I use MQTT.fx because I work with microcontrollers and not with direct smarthome actuators.
So I could see for example that my nodeMCU published in the channel “Laber/test” and not in “labor/test”
That was one of my litte mistakes.
But thanks for the hint.