Congrats 2.5.0.M2

I might be seeing the same thing. It’s a long known issue in OH 2 that the startup order is not predictable and sometimes things will start (e.g. Rules) before they are ready to run (e.g. Items have not yet loaded). But what you describe is more extreme than usual.

Sometimes when I upgrade to a new SNAPSHOT I’ll see a bunch of exceptions in the log that I’ve not yet had a chance to review and on my sitemap I’ll see Item names instead of their labels (that’s usually how I discover things didn’t go well). A restart of OH almost always clears things up. Only once did I have to restart twice.

There appear to be some limitations to how Karaf loads bundles that makes this exceptionally difficult if not impossible. This is why the issue has been open forever without a viable fix.

That’s a classic symptom of a Rule being triggered before the Rule itself has been fully loaded. I’ve even seen errors like “no such symbol ON” and the like.

There is a work around that is built into openHABian I think that will copy the .rules files into the rules folder only after OH has come online. Thus the Rules can’t start triggering before they are ready.

This is not surprising actually. When you clear the cache OH has to go out and download and reinstall all the bindings which adds more load on the system and definitely interferes with the rest of the startup. Personally, after I upgrade or clear the cache I wait for the logs to quiet down and then restart by default.

Anyway, back to the original error. Are you using addons.cfg by chance?

the only entry I have is

# A comma-separated list of miscellaneous services to install (e.g. "misc = myopenhab")
#misc = 
misc = ruleengine

back to the other stuff:

Yes, but we would need just core-bundle component which could orchester this, e.g. maintaining the state in the jsondb. The components component could be loaded, but would not run their core-business before getting a go from this orchestration component.
I know that there more urgent issue, though I think that fixing that would be also not a minor thing. I am pretty sure that the startup time would be way less than now.

And I am thinking even further. I am “dreaming” about having some sort of hot standby system inside a cluster configuration (e.g. docker cluster). This would also make it possible, as components would be preloaded and with a “GO” would take over.

Before restarting OH this error stays persistent. I do not know what reliable trigger to use for “system started”. I implemented in all my rules (functional groups) a “System started” rule for initiation. I am seeing firing this rule during the startup of the system all around. And this rule is fired also when e.g. items are reloaded due to .items file change.

To come back to the beef: Congrats for great work on 2.5.0.M2!
and I mean it

1 Like

This might be related. Since you only have the one entry, what happened if you remove it and install the Experimental rules through the REST API or PaperUI?

If you have a solution for this the issue had been opened for about two years now. I’m sure they would welcome the PR.

Sometimes a sleep in the rule will help. Most of the time at least, when the role doesn’t last and start firing before Timer is available.

The only other solution that works is to remove the files from the rules folder until a certain amount of time has passed.

Or just check for errors when you restart and restart again if there are problems.

Installed it with the cont-init.d script:
https://github.com/openhab-scripters/openhab-helper-libraries/pull/215

sure, having plans to start contribution, but…

I added a comment to the script pr. If the user isn’t using add-ons.cfg to manage their add-ons, the script shouldn’t just blindly added a misc every to the file because all the user’s other misc add-ons will be automatically uninstalled.

I wonder if something like that is happening here.

@lukics
I’m not sure if this is related, but I had a “relic” entry in addons.config (not to be confused with the addons.cfg) file after I upgraded to 2.5M2 that caused errors until I manully cleaned up the entry.

The file is located at the following path:
/var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/addons.config

That’s a good one I often forget about.

And I was wondering why my Eclipse IoT Market and openHAB Cloud Connector are always vanishing.

Though, removed the entry from misc, still the same with this log entry, not keen to restart the system right now to test after this.

It doesn’t seem to be impacting the functionality. There dashboard is still there. I wouldn’t worry too much about restarting. It will either fix it it is won’t. The risk of something else going wrong is low.

Having removed the entry in add-ons.cfg, did you install the Experimental rules engine through paper UI?

Yes, I did.
But I expected, that when I removed it from the cfg, that I will be de-installed, and disappear from paperu-UI, which did not happen. So I de-installed/installed it.

Now after restarting of OH i still have these entries. I think I have to ignore them.

2019-08-18 16:59:15.205 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is not installed
2019-08-18 17:00:15.142 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is not installed
2019-08-18 17:01:15.184 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is not installed

remark: I modified the cont-init.d script to not adds misc entry.

Apologies for dragging up this topic again. but I’m seeing this exact issue as well, and with some more annoying bugs that might be related.

I installed M2 via. openhabian-config menu. The system is a Rpi3b+ with the openhab distro.

I can control things just fine, but when I try to search in my inbox for anything, regardless of binding, i get a “ERROR: 503 - Service Unavailable” but nothing is written in my log files.

I’ve already attempted to clear my cache with no changes.

That can be anything then, eventually it’s even not related to changes in 2.5M2.
Please debug your issue (raise log levels for org.eclipse.xxx.* and org.openhab.xxx.* as a first measure) and open a new thread (or go right to GitHub if you believe you found a bug). But a “me too” with such a vague description doesn’t help anybody get anywhere.

2 Likes

Did your problem dissappear eventually? I have exactly the same, but no trace of ‘openhab-ui-dashboard’ neither in /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/addons.config nor addon.cfg. They are both not modified.
I have the log entry every 60s. Anywhere else to look?
Thx

I upgraded to 2.5.0.M6 and the issue still exists.

Hi,
the message disappeared today. I’m not sure what the cause was, but I think the upgrade to the latest snaphot. I also changed some debug output back to default for these:

openhab> log:set DEFAULT org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.mqtt
openhab> log:set DEFAULT org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mqtt
openhab> log:set DEFAULT org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3
openhab> log:set DEFAULT org.openhab.binding.mqtt

but I guess this is not related.
Good luck :slight_smile:

I’m getting this too constantly repeating after installing stable 2.5:

2019-12-20 14:56:52.208 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Running scheduled sync job
2019-12-20 14:56:52.455 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is not installed

I’ve cleared the caches, restarted, deleted the addons.config file and so on.

Everything seems to get loaded okay, HABpanel even works. I then get the above message every minute and everything stops working.

Prior to that, after the first couple of restarted, HABpanel would load but any textual item was not linked to a HABpanel icon.

This all starts after the bindings etc are installed:

2019-12-20 15:25:53.603 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Installed 'openhab-binding-hue, openhab-persistence-mapdb, openhab-binding-nest, openhab-misc-openhabcloud, openhab-persistence-influxdb, openhab-binding-amazonechocontrol, openhab-misc-hueemulation, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-action-pushover, openhab-binding-mqtt, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-binding-rfxcom, openhab-binding-lgwebos, openhab-binding-kodi, openhab-ui-habmin, openhab-binding-homematic, openhab-ui-paper, openhab-binding-mail, openhab-transformation-jsonpath, openhab-binding-mihome, openhab-binding-miio, openhab-binding-wifiled, openhab-misc-gcal1, openhab-persistence-rrd4j, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-binding-expire1'

2019-12-20 15:25:56.159 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Running scheduled sync job

2019-12-20 15:26:22.243 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Installed 'openhab-binding-hue, openhab-persistence-mapdb, openhab-binding-nest, openhab-misc-openhabcloud, openhab-persistence-influxdb, openhab-binding-amazonechocontrol, openhab-misc-hueemulation, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-action-pushover, openhab-binding-mqtt, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-binding-rfxcom, openhab-binding-lgwebos, openhab-binding-kodi, openhab-ui-habmin, openhab-binding-homematic, openhab-ui-paper, openhab-binding-mail, openhab-transformation-jsonpath, openhab-binding-mihome, openhab-binding-miio, openhab-binding-wifiled, openhab-misc-gcal1, openhab-persistence-rrd4j, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-binding-expire1'

2019-12-20 15:26:27.618 [INFO ] [ipse.smarthome.model.script.Intruder] - gwin received update

2019-12-20 15:26:41.832 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Uninstalled 'openhab-ui-dashboard'

2019-12-20 15:26:42.058 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is not installed

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try next?

Thanks!

After one more reboot cache clear, HABpanel is now up and working and items are linked but I am still getting the following every minute:

2019-12-20 16:18:32.445 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Running scheduled sync job
2019-12-20 16:18:32.649 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is not installed

I’ve got a UI failure now:

2019-12-22 11:28:53.370 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed                                                                           uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is n                                                                          ot installed
2019-12-22 11:29:53.088 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Running                                                                           scheduled sync job
2019-12-22 11:29:53.386 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed                                                                           uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is n                                                                          ot installed
2019-12-22 11:30:53.097 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Running                                                                           scheduled sync job
2019-12-22 11:30:53.330 [DEBUG] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed                                                                           uninstalling 'openhab-ui-dashboard': Feature named 'openhab-ui-dashboard/0' is n                                                                          ot installed

Has anyone else seen this after a 2.5 install?

Rules etc are still working behind the scenes but HAB panel and any other UI are unusable.

I really do not know what else to try. Thank you for any assistance.

Check your config for the RestDocs, those moved from MISC to UI and can cause reloading parts of your installation every minute.
Check the release notes as well:

### Breaking Changes that Require Manual Interaction after the Upgrade

#### REST Docs

This add-on is now part of the UIs. When previously installed using a UI, uninstall the REST Docs before updating and reinstall it after the update to prevent errors. When installing it using textual configuration, update `services/addons.cfg` by removing `restdocs` from `misc` and add it to `ui` instead.

Thank you for your reply…

I did not have REST docs installed.

I didn’t add it to the services/addons.cfg folder but have now and am trying a restart.

I did read the docs but must have missed the last bit of this.

If this doesn’t work then I suppose I’ll have to do a complete re-install but is that likely to fix it? (The restart and cache clear didn’t work).

Re-reading the Manual changes required, I think this is what is causing a lot of confusion when upgrading:

Breaking Changes that Require Manual Interaction after the Upgrade

and then followed by:

REST Docs

This add-on is now part of the UIs. When previously installed using a UI, uninstall the REST Docs before updating .

I confess that I didn’t read that section until after the upgrade!