Connecting RGB led strip controller to openhabian

Your best bet would be to ask the vendor what RGB controller IC is supported. The WS2811 is used on many LED strips for example. If your current Niko has the same controller IC’s (usually placed between every other LED), you have a change to make it work. Obviously you should also keep an eye on the voltage required.

1 Like

ok, didnt really knew a led strip worked like that.
I will have a phonecall tomorrow to the vendor.
hopefully they will give this information.

If it is a WS2811 i would perhaps even be able to make something with my arduino.
Didnt rly think about that before.

Thx for all your replies!

Haven’t tried it but Tasmota firmware supports the WS2811.:grinning:

Depends on the strip but you might be able to see the chip # if you look really close.

1 Like

mmh, i have the led strips in a rail not so easy accessable :stuck_out_tongue:
but it is something i could try

I use an OptiVISOR with #5 lens for tiny projects.:wink:

My tiny project would be finding the chip nr , i think i will use my mobile for this for once :wink:

1 Like

Good idea, to bad that doesn’t work for soldering.:grinning:

lol just realised i cut of a piece and kept it :slight_smile:

but beside just 3300 i dont see much of a chip nr.

You’ll have one chip that controll’s X amount of leds, I think it’s six max but not sure. If you don’t see something that indicates what chip is used then play it safe and call the vendor.:sunglasses:

1 Like

i will def. do that.
And i think i know what u mean, but i have 2 pieces, so unless i am overlooking something this is the chip.

Can’t tell from the picture and the OptiVISOR with laptop screen makes it worse.:rofl: Play it safe and call the vendor.

lol, yeh i will thx for the support already :smiley:

my question has been escalated to the product team.
Hopefully i will get some more information soon about this.

he could also tell me that the controller will be integrated into the default NHC system somewhere next year.
But i need to upgrade my NHC to a NHC 2.
One small thing that comes to mind is that i have read somwhere that only NHC1 is compatible with with this openhab binding.
So i am not very keen to upgrade anyway.

once i have my chip number i should be able to find a different controller, i hope.

It looks like an analog strip, no controller IC’s there.
Like this one: https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips/overview

Thx for your reply.

Interesting, gonna do some reading.
It does seem i have less options for analog strips at first sight