Connecting to ESP8266 usinf REST API's from open HAB

Can someone guide me to an example to connect to ESP8266 (connected to a relay switch) using RESTAPI’s. I dont want to use MQTT, hence askng for REST API’s

Aw man, I clicked on this thinking “oh that’ll be a cool tutorial to read!”

I’m pretty sure the tutorial flag is meant for more complete tutorials.

As for how this would work, which firmware are you using/planning to use on the ESP8266? The REST API is pretty standard, you ought to be able to use the HTTP binding once you’ve got a firmware picked out.

Moved to “Hardware-DIY” :grinning:

Oops sorry, I thought we could request for tutorials too :slight_smile:

Currently I am using thru MQTT to communicate, but it doesnt seem to be reliable. It crashes often. So need another reliable option. Havent thought about firmware. Any suggestions? I am using RPi as the OpenHAB server and using latest version of OpenHAB. I have nodeMCU module which I am using to communicate to manage few relays connected to it.

So please treat me as a beginner and any guidance for REST API would be helpful.

I switched to MQTT because HTTP was not reliable :sunglasses:
The most support you will get in this forum is with Tasmota and ESPEasy firmware.

This should get you started:

1 Like

I have implemented a sketch that can connect to openHAB and allows to control relays on an ESP8266:

It is not extensively tested as I have not yet started using it. The plan is to use it with rules for garden watering.

Which software are you currently using on the ESP8266?

Depending on which software, you have options to make MQTT more reliable. If your quality of service is 0 then try setting it to a 1 or a 2 - this will help the messages go through.

Do you have any idea where the messages are getting lost? I would assume you use Mosquitto broker (most popular around here) - is your broker running on your OpenHAB machine or another machine?

I used HTTP calls for a bit on ESPEasy firmware - the firmware crashed often leaving me to do my own hard reset of the device. I switched those to custom arduino sketches with MQTT.

An additional thing to check would be to check that the nodeMCU has a solid wifi connection. If it doesn’t then no change of protocol will be helpful. Your best option is probably set your quality of service (QoS) to 2 and hope for the best.

TL;DR: you might be able to fix your MQTT troubles instead of reprogramming everything, we need to get to the root of the problem.

Hi,
My issue is that MQTT server suddenly stops. MQTT is running on OpenHAB machine itself (Running in a RPi3). Below are the entries in the openHAB log. MQTT suddenly stops and only way to get out of this is to restart RPi3. Its happening every day. So I have restart the RPi3 everyday. I am using generic ESP8266 board in Arduino IDE and lua script. I am not sure if this answers your question about software used.

_2019-02-08 18:18:38.594 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'mqtt:broker:8e589a87' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Unable to connect to server to OFFLINE_

_2019-02-08 18:18:38.629 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'mqtt:broker:8e589a87' changed from OFFLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Unable to connect to server_

What broker do you use?

I use MQTT Embedded Broker. Below is how my Paper UI looks like

When I create a Thing I select the following in sequence

MQTT Thing Binding -> Generic MQTT Thing -> Under Bridge select MQTT System Broker as shown in pic below

Thanks. But I couldnt make out what is explained in the readme document. It says about some code, but not mentioning where I have to write the code. Should I use Arduino IDE to write code and upload it to my ESP8266?

Sorry, it would have been great if it was explained a bit more easier for beginners like me. I dont use circuitIO too, I just use Arduino IDE and upload a code to ESP8266.

You don’t need to write code, the code is already written. You have to compile it with Arduino IDE and upload it to the ESP8266. What is circuitIO?

Sorry, Ignore the circuitio line, My bad. :frowning:

There are so many ino files, which one should I use? Any library i should install? If yes, then is there a zip file for that library?

I have added the library dependencies to platformio.ini and to the readme.

From a quick look at the Arduino IDE documentation I could not find out if the files can be compiled with it, as you need all of the files. I personally use Visual Studio code with the PlatformIO IDE add-on. You should be able to open the folder with it and clicking on compile builds the sketch. I have justed cloned the repo and tested it.

The hardware that is used might need to be changed (I use a Wemos D1 mini).