Consistency needed for widespread adoption of OpenHab 2.0

Haha that’s nice said. Problematic though, that statements like these will smack the enthusiasm out of end users…

Will do.

Agreed, but life isn’t so simple (is it ever ;)). There are (currently!) three repositories at play - OH1, OH2, and ESH, and you will find in HABmins list of extensions (see the image above) it distinguishes between them. This doesn’t really change things other than to say it’s a bit more complicated, and is outside of the scope of openHAB which just complicates things a little more…

I’ve just updated the extensions list to provide a link to the documentation for OH2/ESH bindings…

1 Like

Wow, that’s great Chris!

When will it be available for download/use?

It should be available now if you want to install the JAR.

https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/org.openhab.ui.habmin/

What I’m not 100% sure about is if something in the system will cache last nights version so if you try installing it from PaperUI, I’m not completely sure it will pick up this version until tomorrow. Give it a try ;).

thx

FYI, There’s even more inconsistency, for example there is no way to know what unit of measure that a channel is using in OH2. For example the Yahoo provider defaults to Celsius, but you have no way of knowing that. Some other bindings might default to Fahrenheit, but you have no way of knowing that.

BTW, For those who want temps in Fahrenheit you are also getting less precise results because Yahoo returns whole numbers, and Celsius is less precise than Fahrenheit.

I don’t think that’s anything new - I guess the same was true of OH1, but I think this is off the point of this topic.

If the binding is written well, it probably should provide the option of either, although a system wide config setting would be better.

It is something that is being addressed - or at least considered - in ESH, and if I remember correctly you were contributing to that discussion? It’s probably the best place to get such concepts added - not really in OH2.

Hey Chris, like it very much.

Now I have easy access to the man-pages of a binding.
With this I just discovered the Network binding to check if my iPhone is switched on and inside the house. :wink:

2 Likes

OK perhaps I need to take a better look at habmin - maybe ive been cosidering it all wrong… I have been primarily using it to manage my zwave network and nothing else. I’m OH1 and doing everything with config files - never relly considered doing anything else with it.

@chris you mentioned crossover with basicUI and calssicUI - are you saying I can view a “habminUI” on my phone?

Well, in OH1, HABmin was the only way to configure the network (without closing down OH and running a separate tool). This is where HABmin started, but it also has the ability to edit the configure files even in OH1… OH2 is just a continuation of this really…

Yes - what I meant is that they are very similar - they both display sitemaps in a similar way. They have a slightly different look, but do the same thing…

You can run HABmin on your phone - I’m not sure what you mean by a “habminUI” though?

Think im getting mixed up again - assuming you cant run any interface other than classicUI or ios UI on a phone

I’m not sure if this is a question, or a statement?

You can run HABmin on a phone - it’s possibly not the best experience in the world on a small screen, but it works fine.

Yeah ignore me I am getting a bit mixed up in all the moving parts