Contribution - LG Thinq [Air Conditioner/Heat Pump] [WIP]

@mstormi, I fixed some issues in the binding for HP. Can you check if it works for you ?
You can try to completely remove the thing, restart the bridge and discovery again the Heat Pump.
You will get 4 channels:

• Target Temperature → you can set the desired temperature
  • Current Temperature
  • Operation Mode → operations mode availables
  • Power → turn on/off.

Please, let me know if works and if there are others cool features to map.

1 Like

Finally have time to test the binding, everything looks good, thanks a lot !!!

1 Like

Hi nemer,
Thanks a lot for the binding!
I got one small issue with my HP: In openhab I can’t set a target temperature lower than 17°. On the LG app I can set anything as low as 5°. Is there anything in the binding prohibiting setting a lower temperature?
Thanks a lot!

As another cool feature: the LG app allows to monitor energy usage, maybe that can be added too?

Nope ! The range is based on the capability file provided by LG API, i.e., the file descriptor define the range. To analyse your issue, I need the cap file stored in your OH. Can you provide it to me ? It’s stays in <OH_USERDATA>/thinq/thinq-XXXXX.cap

thinq-ab8f066b-513a-135c-a05b-805b65d1d82b-cap.json (67.2 KB)

Yes sure you can! Thanks for looking into this!

I don’t know how this device works, but based on the descriptor, it supports air&water cooling/heating.

For air cooling/heating:

• 15-30 degrees
    Water cooling:
  • 5-27 degrees
    Water heating:
  • 15-80 degrees

Is that correct? If isn’t, can you describe to me in details the device’s functions through the LG App ?

Hi @nemer ,

Thanks for all the hard work. I m using your binding for some time now. It is working very well.

I have one request , if possible, to add channel for AirFlow direction if that is possible.

I m trying to use different airflow direction during night compared to other times in a day.

Thanks in advance!

Ok. It’s not so hard at all. I gonna plan this feature in the next releases and let you know.

1 Like

Hi @nemer,

Yesterday I sucessfully installed the Thinq Binding (4.0.0) and added my wallmount AC to OH (3.0). When the bridge came online I get notified that there was a new thing available. Great… however later the day, I added my other 3 AC units to my thinq account. Now my question, how to add those as thing ? When adding a new thing, there is no way to identify which unit it represents.

Thanks, Marc

Hi, Mac.

There’s no way to manually add LG Thinq Things, because some of the attributes are got only in the discovery process by the Bridge.
The Bridge has a default discovery time of 24hrs. You can reduce it, but the default time was set like this because it’s costgly. Then I trick is to disable and reenable the bridge. It will start the discovery process immediately and you gonna see your new devices in the Inbox panel.

Hi Nemer,
Thanks for your answer. Then i’ll wait a few hours till the next refresh

Br, Marc

If you want, you don’t need to wait. Simply disable and re-enable the bridge:

When re-enabled, the bridge will discovery the new devices immediately.

Hi @nemer
sorry for the late reply.
It’s an air/water heatpump. The LG app allows me 3 modes, auto, heat and cool.
Auto allows relative temperature +/5°
Cool is a set tempature between 5° and 24°
Heat is a set tempature between 22° and 55°
I attached the screenshots for reference, as well as a screenshot of the energy monitoring the app allows.

1 Like

I’m a little bit confused about this device. The capability descriptor says me that this device supports water and air cooling/heating. But byt the images you sent from the LG App appears you can’t select between water/air to manage temperature. Is that right ?
Additionally, It would be very useful if you provide me the datatrace file. You can do this by putting the binding in Debug mode, then in the OH_USERDATA/thinq (same directory you got the cap file) you can find this file generated after 1 minute.

I can change operation not in the app but in the wallmounted control panel between water temperature (leaving the heatpump) and air temperature messured at the panel. The latter is currently not very useful for me, as the panel is installed in a room which isn’t connected to a fancoil. I’ve sent you the datatrace.

Hi @nemer !

Sorry for disturbing you again, but I have some problem. If I turn on any or my air conditioners by its remote control the device does not get updated in openhab. I can control them from openhab (turn on/off or change temp).
The LG Thinq app can see the change almost instantly. I have two older LG AC which can be used only by one user, the LG App shows ‘used by another user’ if I control them from openhab.

What logs do you need to track this down?

Thank you

Hi, @cinadr. This is a normal behavior of this new version. A great number of LG Thinq Devices don’t have activity when it’s turned off, even remote control (Washer, Dryer, DishWash, Refrigerator, etc.). Thus, I introduced a set of configuration parameter that you can control better the polling cycle when the device is turned on & off than you can save up some bandwidth pooling when the device is not working. The problem is… if you direct operate the device by the panel or remote control (i.e, not by this binding) when it’s turned off, the binding will take some time to notice this (actually, 10 minutos by default).
Look:

Then, you can reduce de first parameter (Polling period when device is off) from 600 to some shorter, like 10. But, I recommend you to knowing this behavior, try to use bigger polling period when the device is turned off.

In a near future, I will introduce a channel to update instantly the status of device, regardless the pooling period. Then, you can keep the high poling periods and ask to update now by pushing a button.

Regards,

2 Likes

Hi @nemer !

I finally had some time during my holiday and removed all my LG Thinq things and the binding. Made a cache cleanup and restarted OH (4.0.3). I’ve downloaded the binding from your github page and connected the gateway which discovered all my LG thinq devices correctly.

I’ve finally made my Operation Mode to work as expected, with turning every item’s semantics class to a Point only (formerly it was a Controll - Point). So the text appears instead of a number. (Cool, Dry, Heat, etc.)

And with the reinstall the binding now correctly detects ON/OFF modes after 10 seconds if it is operated by remote. Thanks for this!!!

What I noticed that the AC binding has no Speed channel and a new channel of Air/Water Switch appeared which I cannot interpret. This channel is present for all of my 5 ACs (3 of them is ver 2 and 2 of the is ver 1). The speed channel would be nice to get back and please explain what is Air/Water Switch is for (is this for a Heat Pump device?).

Thank you.
Zsolt.

Hello, @cinadr . Accidentally I changed the AC descriptor. I revert the changes and you can reinstall the binding to see if the channels has been fixed.

Regards.

Nemer.

1 Like

Good evening!
I’m trying to set up a bridge, but it doesn’t work.
What should I do to make it work?

2023-09-21 23:19:44.963 [ERROR] [nding.lgthinq.internal.api.RestUtils] - ExecutionException occurred during POST execution: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure