Controlling OpenHAB from tablet

Hi All,

I’m completely new to this so I apologise in advance for the stupid and probably annoying questions. I have no experience with code or anything like this so I have a lot to learn here.

I decided to have a go at setting up a HABPanel at home with the aim to control Philips lighting, Sonos, nest cam and thermostat and eventually I’d like to have a Broadlink set up to control the tv etc.

I plan on running a mini windows PC as the openHAB server. This will also be running Plex for movies etc. Before that is sorted however I wanted to play/learn with HABpanel so that I could hit the ground running when the correct hardware is here.

I am able to get openHAB installed and running on a windows 7 laptop and I can control a hue light with HABpanel in a browser window on the laptop but I can’t for the life of me work out how to view that same panel in a browser on a new kindle fire 7.

I think I’m probably missing something very obvious but I’m struggling to find any clear guide on the openHAB site. Hopefully, one of you guys can point me in the right direction or give a simple step by step of what to do after you have created a HABpanel layout on one PC and would like to use it on a tablet.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

In the settings of habpanel there is a an option so say save config local or on server. Locally is default and not what you want.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply and apologies in advance. My knowledge of this is at best basic but with some guidance, I’m sure I can get there.

I’ve saved the HABpanel layout so it now says Panel Configuration rather than local storage but I don’t know what to do next.

Does the PC have to be set up in any particular way? At the moment, both the PC and tablet are connected to the home wifi network. Am I overlooking something here?

Nope, that should be fine. Add a button to the panel&sprefix and save / run it.
Google you another tablet and open the same url as the first. You should see your button.

Nowhere you can start plumbing new buttons and switches in with your items.
C

I am having a great time with Openhab, am learning a ton and made progress thanks to the community. But I have the same problem. I am running Openhab on a Window 10 PC and I can’t figure out how to connect tablet for habpanel. I can access habpanel on pc by entering 192.168.86.250:8080 in the browser. When I type the same into the tablet browser I get "This site can’t be reached. 192.186.86.250 servers IP address could not be found. Can someone point me in the right direction??
Also, Crispin could you explain “Add a button to the panel&sprefix and save / run it.”
Thanks for your help.

Only just seen this, sorry.

Can the tablet see anything? Google? OH2 is just a Web server so nothing special for the tablet.

Once that’s working, you should be able to add a new widget. :slight_smile: