Corrupt FileSystems every 2-3 month?

I stopped using a Raspberry 2 because I was running short of memory. OpenHAB, being Java based, put rather a strain on it.

I switched to a PC Engines APU 2 with a 16 GB SSD, runnung under Ubuntu 14.04. The first SSD failed, and, after the second one had been running for a while, I realised there were periodic disk problems which caused the system to freeze.

So, periodically, I automatically restart OH in the middle of the night. The disk problems are a thing of the past. I recently had to switch off the system for some msjor rewiring: it had been running perfectly for 358 days according to uptime.

Steve

Hi Steve. Great Ideea! I use the same Board with IPFire since almost 3 years. Think i will try too :slight_smile:

I had what I thought was curroption but was actually my cards getting filled with logs. I thought I’d just throw it out in case it might help.

See the discussion about corrupted file systems on RaspiPi[1-3] at

Even when you

• shutdown before pulling th power plug
  • use a good PSU / power plug (min. 2A)
  • use sd cards of known brands
    in my experience there is no guaranty the file system doesn’t get corrupted.
    With some SD-Cards (which worked good in other systems) the
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    after a fresh install triggered enough write activity on my Raspi2 that the file system got corrupted and the system didn’t came up after reboot.

Something in the hardware and or firmware of the Raspberries keeps on eating sd-cards, may it be voltage spikes while shutting down or timing problems while writing data to the card, I don’t know.

So my solution was to shift the system on an usb stick and boot from a boot partition on a sd-card mounted read-only (from which I have a backup).

BTW: OH on my Synology NAS proved to be too inflexibel and after each DSM (OS) update the risk was high that OH didn’t run anymore.

As already written in the thread, the log-files and rrd4j will corrupt every sd-card in a couple of month.
Frequent writes is what kills the card, so this has to be prevented.
This can be done via a read only partition or mounting the folders to tmpfs (ram-disk).
To prevent data loss on reboot the data can be persisted on shutdown or cyclic once a day.

1 Like

Most statements on SD card wearout and filesystem corruption you can read about on this forum and the internet are missing the important points so I try to de-mystify and correct misconceptions with this post. It is constantly being updated and is meant to serve as a user reference. You probably got directed here by me or some other forum responder in response to a question or post of yours.
If you find any of the information contained herein to be incorrect please let me know.
Note I’m assuming you’re using a Raspberry Pi to boot off the internal SD reader.
Information may or may not apply to other computers or modified RPi setups.

Power

File storage corruption can happen when your server loses power while writing to disk - SD cards in particular - because every flash controller provides some caching memory so not every finished write command really means that the data was successfully written to the medium. Note this isn’t about file system level handling.
Power losses happen a lot in home automation setups, particularly if you’re in a build phase and there’s you or others to work on the electrical system of the house.
Fortunately there’s a simple solution: get a UPS. There’s RPi addon HATs such as the one from Waveshare, but you should also consider getting an external unit. Most of those add surge protection, too, and allow to run the OH server, Internet router and other critical systems on battery for at least a couple of minutes.
If you’re using a RPi, you might be tempted to use a simple powerbank as a UPS but make sure to get one that allows for charging and powering at the same time - most do not provide this capability and none of the vendors tells you upfront.
Any power supply (uninterruptible or not) must be able to provide the full amount of power the regular power adapter for your RPi provides. Raspberry foundation recommends 2.5A for a RPi3 with power hungry USB peripherals, and for the RPi4 they even had to move to USB-C and supplies to provide 3A. Common supplies are 1A or 2.1A at most.
It’s true that you usually get away with 1A, but you must not forget to factor in all your RPi HATs (HArdware-on-Top) and USB-attached devices as well as to remember that you need to size your system for peak power consumption such as at boot or backup time and not for the average value.
Note that if underpowered, a RPi3 or older will power down components, the USB chipset being among the first. On RPi 1-3, Ethernet is connected via USB so a first symptom of this to happen usually is network problems.
You’ll usually get to see ‘under-voltage’ messages in syslog, too, as well as the lightning symbol on the screen if you connect HDMI. The red power LED on newer RPIs (3, 4) will also flicker.
OFF means input current is insufficient.

SD and other media

Second, with maybe one exception (see #1 below), there’s no way to increase reliability of a SD card. They suffer from wearout leading to corruption, and you can do little about it. Reality is even worse because this is not a SD thing but a memory chip thing: the very same technology is used in USB sticks, eMMC cards and even SSDs, so the following applies even if you use one of those.
There’s variances w.r.t. error-free runtime, some cards or models or brands are better than others, but all but the most cheapest SD cards do wear levelling to some extent already. Read on if you’re interested in details.
Unfortunately, that isn’t enough. All of this is ignoring the fact that once setup, openHAB keeps writing to SD again and again in rapid succession (logs, data recording and paging) - wear levelling may simply not be enough in this case.
For what’s it’s worth, unlike many believe, SD size is not a good indicator for buffer size - twice the size does not imply all the extra capacity is available as extra buffer and it’s only doubling buffer at best. And even those with a large buffer fail at some point in time.
You should be getting a card that the vendor tagged to be suited for video recording. They have larger buffers and often also use more resilient electronics (storing less bits per cell) and can thus stand more writes. The major vendors (SanDisk, Samsung, Kingston) are selling these with an ‘Endurance’ name extension.
Don’t confuse with cards tagged as ‘Industrial’. While those may have a larger buffer, too, they’re not guaranteed to. ‘Industrial’ merely refers to use environment i.e. this is about temperature range, mechanical stability etc and not about buffers and wearout.
Also don’t think eMMC gives you any advantage in terms of reliability, it’s rather the opposite.
eMMC is essentially the same flash chips as are used in SDs but soldered to the controller.
So it’s usually a daughterboard rather than a card hence it’s much more cumbersome and expensive to exchange it (like it is when your Tesla is hit by this very same wearout problem …).
It’s sometimes faster but then again, disk speed is not important to openHAB - it’s all about reliability. However as we’re just touching this, get an “A1” or even “A2” rated SD card. It’s not more reliable but faster than traditional ones rated UHS-1 or less under random access conditions as we have them in openHAB(ian).
On SSDs, be aware they also use the same flash memory. But SSDs have a DRAM cache in addition that effectively results in relatively few writes to flash memory which is why flash wearout affects them way less than it affects SD and eMMC.
SSDs have drawbacks including some that pose yet more threats to overall system availability, such as power requirements and boot issues, in addition to cost and packaging and that it just isn’t there in a RPi by default. All of these are reasons why I will not recommend to use SSDs over SDs.
Your mileage may vary if you feel this is of relevance to your own situation or not.

Advertising break
If you shop on Amazon, use smile.amazon.de and select openHAB foundation to donate to. Thanks !

Either way, to select a ‘better’ card or ‘proper’ medium is no solution to the corruption problem.
You need to take a complementary measure (#2 below).

There’s two real useful things you can do to fight corruption:

1. reduce write operations (to SD or flash memory in general)
  • Ideally, put persistence, logs and swap into RAM and sync them to a permanent medium.
    You can use any permanent medium (USB stick, SSD or NFS mount on NAS) to put these on.
    Losing RAM (on reboot) or the medium with these files is not critical. openHAB usually keeps working, and you can restore them from backup.
    Corruption of the system and data you need to keep on the other hand side is critical.

• in a nutshell: use ZRAM.
    That’s a RAM disk with compression for swap and the most active directories.
    See this thread.
    I recommend to keep existing swap as a fallback solution. Note the ZRAM swap is created with a higher priority so it’s used first.

• adding an option like commit=60 to /etc/fstab will result in files being written to the medium only every 60 seconds, greatly reducing the number of writes, but note it doesn’t apply to swap or NFS.

Backup

Reucing writes and moving write-intensive files off the boot medium is a small one-time effort and will greatly reduce the risk of a SD card corruption caused crash, but it won’t fully mitigate it, the takeaway point is that to offload logging and persistence all by themselves is not sufficient. So either way, you also need to

1. make daily backups
    This will not increase runtime, but it will mitigate the impact of a SD (or USB stick or USB attached SSD or other disk) crash or accidential admin failure.
    openHABian now comes with Amanda, a professional backup system.

You might be unaware that openHABian is not just a RPi disk image - it is a set of scripts that can be installed on top of any Debian like UNIX as well. Once you installed these, you don’t have to migrate to an openHABian based setup - you can choose to only install some of the optional components such as Amanda.

Use the new auto backup feature in openHABian to clone your SD right at installation time or via menu option. In case of crash, you just need to exchange cards and you are good to go.

openHABian also provides you with a menu option to setup SD disk mirroring or to run a one-time copy.

22 Likes

I would add moving /var/lib/openhab/persistence in addition to /var/logs to another medium. In a mid to large sized system with persistence configured would result in a whole ton of writes as well, perhaps as much if not more than logging depending on the number of Items and persistence approach.

Though the risk of losing that medium produces more of an impact than just losing the logs, particularly if you are using persistence to track long term data.

Also, moving ‘everything that writes’ isn’t really all that hard. I just had a catastrophic failure of one of my Pis (not SD card related) and just rebuilt it as read only. I’ve written an Ansible playbook (posted below for those interested) to do it for me. I’m not arguing against whether it provides that much benefit (I did it more for security reasons and to learn how to do it) but it isn’t that difficult. NOTE: this Pi is not running openHAB.

My Read Only Jesse Ansible Playbook:
NOTES:

• Treat as Alpha, it is only partially tested.
  • With a read only runtime Tripwire probably doesn’t add anything so much of that stuff will probably go away
  • The command to run the relink.sh script relinks a bunch of var folders to the new tempfs /tmp. Sometimes ansible gets stuck after that as the networking gets interrupted. I had to put this into a script because sshd refuses new logins after messing with /var/run and /var/lib/dhcp and each line in an Ansible script is a separate ssh into the target machine
  • I’ve configured my Pis to remotely rsyslog to my main server so I don’t bother with any of the techniques to periodically write the logs to the SD card
  • Some of the steps are unnecessary for Jesse Lite but they were part of the posting I based this off of and I’ve not scrubbed it: https://hallard.me/raspberry-pi-read-only/
  • I plan on posting all of my Ansible scripts which include setting up a bunch of other security related changes (UFW, Tripwire, config changes) to github at some point when I have a chance to more fully test it.
---
- name: Add aliases and fancy prompt to show status of FS
  blockinfile:
    state: present
    dest: /etc/bash.bashrc
    block: |
      # set variable identifying the filesystem you work in (used in the prompt below)
      set_bash_prompt(){
          fs_mode=$(mount | sed -n -e "s/^\/dev\/.* on \/ .*(\(r[w|o]\).*/\1/p")
          PS1='\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h${fs_mode:+($fs_mode)}\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$ '
      }

alias ro='sudo mount -o remount,ro / ; sudo mount -o remount,ro /boot'
      alias rw='sudo mount -o remount,rw / ; sudo mount -o remount,rw /boot'

# setup fancy prompt"
      PROMPT_COMMAND=set_bash_prompt

- name: Set up /tmp, /var/log, and /var/tmp as tempfs
  blockinfile:
    state: present
    dest: /etc/fstab
    insertafter: "#   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that"
    block: |
      tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   nosuid,nodev         0       0
      tmpfs           /var/log        tmpfs   nosuid,nodev         0       0
      tmpfs           /var/tmp        tmpfs   nosuid,nodev         0       0

- name: Set permissions on /tmp
  file:
    mode: a+rwx
    path: /tmp
    state: directory

- name:  Mount /tmp
  mount:
    name: /tmp
    src: /tmp
    fstype: tmpfs
    state: mounted

- name: Mount /var/log
  mount:
    name: /var/log
    src: /var/log

- name: Mount /var/tmp
  mount:
    name: /var/tmp
    src: /var/tmp

- name: Remap folders to /tmp
  script: relink.sh

- name: Waiting for {{ inventory_hostname }} to come back from reboot
  local_action: wait_for host={{ inventory_hostname }} state=started delay=30 timeout=300
  become: false

- name: Configure boot command line
  replace:
    dest: /boot/cmdline.txt
    regexp: 'otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait'
    replace: 'otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait fastboot noswap ro'

- name: Move dhcpd lock file to temp
  replace:
    dest: /etc/systemd/system/dhcpcd5
    regexp: '\=/run/dhcpcd.pid'
    replace: '\=/var/run/dhcpcd.pid'

- name: update fake-hwclock cron job to remount / rw and then mount it back
  copy:
    dest: /etc/cron.hourly/fake-hwclock
    src: fake-hwclock

- name: Check for presence of Tripwire cron job
  stat: path=/etc/cron.daily/tripwire
  register: tripwire_cron

- name: Update cron job to remount rw before running check
  copy:
    dest: /etc/cron.daily/tripwire
    src: tripwire-cron
  when: tripwire_cron.stat.exists == True

- name: Remove some start scripts
  shell: /sbin/insserv -r bootlogs; /sbin/insserv -r console-setup

- name: Set boot FS as readonly
  replace:
    regexp: '/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2'
    replace: '/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot           vfat    defaults,ro          0       2'

- name: Set root as readonly
  replace:
    regexp: '/dev/mmcblk0p2  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1'
    replace: '/dev/mmcblk0p2  /               ext4    defaults,noatime,ro  0       1'

- name: Reboot as read only
  include: tasks/reboot.yml

relink.sh

#!/bin/bash

rm -rf /var/lock
ln -s  /tmp /var/lock

rm -rf /var/spool
ln -s /tmp /var/spool

rm -rf /var/run
ln -s /tmp /var/run

cp -r /var/lib/dhcp/* /tmp
rm -rf /var/lib/dhcp/*
ln -s /tmp /var/lib/dhcp

fake-hwclock: the main addition is a remount of / as rw so it can write then mounting it back to ro

#!/bin/sh
#
# Simple cron script - save the current clock periodically in case of
# a power failure or other crash

if (command -v fake-hwclock >/dev/null 2>&1) ; then
  mount -o remount,rw /
  fake-hwclock save
  mount -o remount,ro /
fi

tripwire-cron, same as above, mount rw then as ro when done

#!/bin/sh -e

mount -o remount,rw /

tripwire=/usr/sbin/tripwire

[ -x $tripwire ] || exit 0

umask 027

$tripwire --check --quiet --email-report

mount -o remount,ro /
1 Like

Agreed, I edited my post.

To be honest. I am not a pro. So maybe someone can help me with concret steps. Wath I have done so far:

• Installed Ubuntu 16 on a new PC Engines APU 2 on the 16 GB SSD
  • Created a NFS Share on the Synology
  • Mounted the NFS-Share on the APU2 as /mnt/openhab (fstab)
  • Installed OpenHab 1.8.3 (So far without autostart)

Waht I plan to do but not know how:

• Store the data from rrjd to /mnt/openhab/rrjd
  • store the logs in a tmpfs-place (how to create this as startup and mount to /var/logs ?)
  • Create a script to compres the logs from /var/logs/ and copy them to /mnt/openhab/logs
  • run the scrip every day at 24:00

I can use googl, but I don’t know how to start :slight_smile:

Thanks for any hint

Some standard Ubuntu? If you are only using tihs box for OH, I would disable virtual memory.
Apart from that, something along the lines of Rich suggestions. 16GB isn’t very much to wear-level, so I suspect it might cause some problems some time in the distant future.

Yes, it should be a standard-ubuntu. But since I have to install a package called policykit-1 until I was able to run as a service I am not shur anymore. On top it’s not working even it tells me it’s running:
openhab@openhab:~$ service openhab status
● openhab.service - LSB: OpenHAB Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/openhab; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Tue 2016-08-16 21:07:15 CEST; 4min 3s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 1919 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/openhab start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 16 21:07:15 openhab systemd[1]: Starting LSB: OpenHAB Daemon…
Aug 16 21:07:15 openhab openhab[1919]: * Starting Open Home Automation Bus Daemon
Aug 16 21:07:15 openhab openhab[1919]: …done.
Aug 16 21:07:15 openhab systemd[1]: Started LSB: OpenHAB Daemon.

But the log is empty, Http ist not running, nothing is ok!

If I start with the start.sh all is fine?!

I tried all the step-by-step possibillity to run as a service. Do i have to install other packages?
I only have copy my backup to /opt/openhab

btw, I use this box only for OH and as it has 4Gb ram I also disabled the virtual memory.

Any reason you are not using apt-get to install?

If you had, it handles all this for you.

When doing it by hand, particularly if you don’t know what you are doing, there is so much that could have gone wrong that I can’t even begin to guess what went wrong.

Ok, installed using apt-get. Same result. I think I will install a new version of ubuntu with all options enabled. Another 3 days lost :frowning:

The only thing what I not understand is, why can it be all ok if I start OH in console-modus while the system is not working as a service?

When you run it from the console you are running it as a specific user (either yourself or root depending on how you run it) which includes an entire configured environment including shell, permissions, environment variables, etc. When it runs as a service the process gets none of that. When you run it as a service properly (i.e. as a non-privileged user) you don’t even have a shell to rely upon.

Questions:

• Which version of Ubuntu are you running? Since 15 the startup system moved from upstart to systemd. The two are very different in how they manage starting service when Linux boots.
  • I’ve not tried to install or use policyKit before, but I could see it potentially messing everything up if you just installed it without then configuring it to allow the openhab user access to the resources it needs to run openHAB. I recommend installing openHAB and get it working first and then trying policyKit, and then only install that once you understand how to configure it.
  • The fact that it didn’t work with apt-get makes me thing either you messed something up with systemd previously or policykit is messing things up.

Finally! I installed a new version of OS (Ubuntu 16.04), and followed the steps from the tutorial again. Made the NFS shars on the Synology, mountet them to /mnt/openhab and createt tom symbolic links (for Logs and Persistance)

Now all seams to be ok :slight_smile:

Dear Spaceman could you please post this script?

My file system got corrupted on day 1!

After copying the raspbian image and apt-upgrade and a reboot the file system was corrupted. But after formating the SD-Card I could copy the raspbian image again without fault. So this was clearly no case of wear-leveling in the SD-Card but a failure OS or Firmware keeping the file system in order.

Some SD-Card work for months, some fail almost immediatly, even from the same brand. So this must have to do with the low-level writing procedure in my opinion. But since I cannot fix it myself and the setup is always in danger of getting lost, I keep on with my workaround of using an usb stick (and placing come directories to /tmpfs as well).

Had similar issue, a couple of times. Usuall it happened when power off the raspberry the not so nice way (power outage etc.)

My solution finally was to put the whole raspian installation on my Synology NAS and even boot via the Raspi from nfs. Since then I had 0 issues. Of course a NAS could often run directly openhab as well, which might also be a good option. In my case it was not, because the NAS is located in the cellar and m zwave signal was very poor from this location. The Raspi was therefore much easier to place in a more central location…

There are plenty of articles on how to boot the RPi via nfs. E.g.
http://blogs.wcode.org/2013/09/howto-netboot-a-raspberry-pi/

You could put the controller on your Pi and then user ser2net to let your NAS access it across the network.

You could then make your Raspberry Pi completely Read Only while running.

Lots of options…

… or buy a usb ssd harddisk and boot without the use of any sd card: