Creating a UI APP for your Smart Home / openHab

I would love to see a Wear OS implementation. Since wear os has tiles to things on/off

Is you are unable to develop it yourself you can post a bounty on bountysource to encourage a volunteer developer. All OH developers are volunteers doing this in their spare time.

This can be accomplished using Tasker and the AutoWear plugin. I got it set up but ended up not actually using it. I posted a tutorial at Tasker+AutoWear+openHAB Android App - Controlling OH from your watch.

Hi,
first of all thank you. You are spending time in this project.
By the way I understand the concerns of many people.
Actually (2.5) I will suggest to a new user to use:

• PaperUi for configuration (and textual editing of items and sitemap file) and for rules.
  • Habpanel to FrontEnd User Interface, web to configure it and OpenHab app to use it (android).

The problems arise when you want to control it from outside your wifi range.
On Ios devices habpanel is not present on the IOS app.
If you configure a webapp in the IOS home screen it will always prompt for user and password.
On mobile android devices is a little bit slow to come to the home screen (maybe you can use habpanel filter but not if you are a basic user).

To figure this info out, it took me several days.
I will not mention all other UI, panel viewer app etc.
I hope OH3 will solve it. So my suggestion is: look at OpenHab app and contribute to that app if you can.
Andrea

Thanks for advice. I will give it a try.
Do you know, why nobody wants to use the tiles option in wear os. Creating a tile with a few buttons on it to simple switch on and off lights or open and close rollershutters. The tiles you can create now in the openhab beta (android phone app) is the right move and very similar as use case for tiles in wear os.

No one has volunteered to implement it.

1 Like

standards

This conversation remind this,
I think the best way to help openhab is to contribute to the openhab repos, not re-design and recreate a new UI.

3 Likes

More likely, nobody wanted to endure a vile flame war like this.

1 Like

@MitchMcKean

I too didnā€™t like the web UIā€™s due to lack of local integration (camera, barcode scanner, google voice to text, floormaps, screensavers etc) and while I used Rotini, I moved on when it became a paid app. I did however take the best from it, and made a really, really bad version for my own use. I have cheapy 7" Fire tablets in each room running it. If nothing is configured, it will use the MAC address of the Fire as the sitemap, and ā€œjust workā€ at start-up. The kitchen sitemap has barcode scanner to add items to my grocery list (Back-end PowerShell script interfacing with Microsofts ToDo app / list).

Feel free to clone it, and/or submit PRā€™s, refactor or anything else that helps you get started, https://github.com/johnjore/kala

PS: Not a developer, itā€™s really, really poorly made, but it, mostly, works and is free :slight_smile: