Current state of OH 2.5 and the build system

Dear Community,

Please inform me about the current state regarding the build system change and the schedule of the next release? Will it be a OH 2.5 release or an OH 3 version due to the lack of backward compabitlity?

Thanks in advance, unfortunately I was pretty busy for a few months now and back then, the IDE was not working and there were tons of errors showing up in Eclipse IDE.

Best regards,
Jochen

What is not backward compatible? Aside from some changes we had in every release there is nothing that changes from the user-perspective.

Dear J-N-K,

Thanks for your fast reply. I guess the addons need to be updated and all addons which are not doing that, won’t work?

Best regards,
Jochen

What do you mean by „updated“? All addons on the repo work (aside from some bugs which should be fixed before the release). The problem is: bugs need to be reported, we can’t address them if we don’t know they exist.

Also the OH1 addons should work (at least that is true for those I use) WITHOUT changes.

Addons that are not part of the official repo might or might not need updates, that depends on the code.

That is great to hear - so there won’t be any surprises after updating to OH 2.5 then. Any idea when that will happen? Is the IDE starting and running smoothly?

Best regards,
Jochen

1 Like

I updated my snapshot installation some time ago from #1555 to (i think somewhere around) #1590 - nothing worked… only errors in the log… So i went back to my backup and all worked like a charm.

Are the biggest errors repaired now or is it still not advised to use the 2.5 snapshots?

That depends on what bindings you use. I know of problems with allplay, amazondashbutton and some bluetooth. But as I said: we can‘t fix what we don‘t know.

The errors ware not because of some bindings…

See mey post from a few weeks ago… [SOLVED] PaperUI not available and Items doesnt work after Update

I didn´t solve all the problems, i went back to my old snapshot #1555 update. And the advise was not to use the snapshots at that time.

I test out pretty much every snapshot and see most/all of the errors you’ve reported in the other thread on the first startup after the cache has been cleared. After things settle down, I restart OH and the errors are gone. IMO, the S1603 is pretty stable and I am using it in my production setup.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks, will make a snapshot from my virtual oh installation (running on esxi) and test the latest oh-snapshot.

Is there somewhere to find a changelog for openhab latest builds?

For snapshots, you’d need to look at the individual changes, but they only go back a few builds. This is an example for openhab-core. The best way is to see what has changed is to go to the repository and look at the PRs merged prior to the build.

For releases, there’s this.