there is an issue which also affects me, that’s why I decided to dig a bit deeper and eventually develop the feature [daikin] Support Daikin BRP069C4x (cloud only) wifi modules · Issue #11032 · openhab/openhab-addons · GitHub
Problem is that I asked our local Daikin reseller and they checked with Daikin Europe. Daikin Europe requires a signed NDA with them in order to provide access to the cloud API and the documentation, so I wonder… do you think that I can sign such NDA myself and develop the bridge for this cloud API for the whole openHAB? Probably it will require some API key or something to be used. Is there someone who has signed any NDA with any API providers in order to develop an integration?
Also If I contribute the code to the open source community I guess I cannot fulfil the NDA because all the necessary information will be exposed
Any hints or advice?
Below the full response from Daikin if anyone is interested:
Any 3rd party can request for access to the new Cloud API. The request process starts with the signing of a mutual NDA. After signing the NDA and approval of the request, the 3rd party will get access to the documentation of the Cloud API. On request the 3rd party will get access to the staging Cloud to develop the 3rd party integration. At the same time, the 3rd Party will receive a contract covering term of use and privacy statements which have to be signed before they can ever move to our production environment. When the development is finished and approved/certified by Daikin EDC the 3rd party integration will be moved to the production Cloud which makes it accessible to all connected customers.
ATTENTION: It is approved b legal to sign mNDA’s digitally “certificate based” using Adobe Acrobat.
Note 1: We are working on a form bases solution to simplify and speed up this mNDA process. Note 2: Daikin Europe has the right to refuse Cloud API & Documentation requests. Abuse of the Cloud API & Documentation can result in a withdraw of the provided access.
Process steps to provide 3rd party access to the ONECTA Cloud API
If an 3rd party (e.g. Home automation company) likes to use the ONECTA Cloud API to integrate the control of our units in their application the following steps must be executed in sequence:
- Affiliate has to be the contact between the 3rd party and Daikin Europe NV.
- The affiliate has to request Daikin Europe for a 3rd party integration providing the following input: • Legal name of the 3rd party
• Core activity of the 3rd party.
• Reason for the request to integrate using our Cloud API.
• Commercial contact of 3rd party.
• Technical contact of 3rd party (can be same as commercial contact).
• The name and contact info of the affiliate who will follow up this request.
Note: Without this basic input we can’t process your request.
- When the request is approved by Daikin Europe, we will send an DENV mutual NDA document which must be “completed” and “signed” by the 3rd party. Do not change this mNDA as this will delay the process. The countersigning party is always Daikin Europe NV not the affiliate.
- After mutual signing of the NDA document the 3rd party will get access to the documentation of our Cloud API. This includes a feedback form through which technical requests can be send to the Daikin development team.
- When the 3rd party, after evaluation of the documentation, like to start development, Daikin Europe will give the 3rd party access to development environment to start developing the integration.
- At the same time a contract covering topics like development restriction, GDPR, … will be provided to the 3rd party. This contract must be signed by the 3rd party to get access to the production environment later in the process.
- To develop the interface the 3rd party should have access to connected Daikin units or a simulation box.
In case the 3rd party doesn’t have access to a Daikin unit, the 3rd party can buy a simulation box from Daikin Europe which will allow them to do the development and validate their integration.
- When the 3rd party development is ready the 3rd party must provide to Daikin Europe a temp setup to validate the quality of the integration.
- After validation of the integration by Daikin Europe the 3rd party will get access to the production (customer) environment assuming that the contract (Step 6) is already signed by both parties.
10.Daikin Europe can revoke the 3rd party integration in case of abuse or when the use of the API is not in line with the contract signed earlier in the process.
ATTENTION: It is approved by legal to sign mNDA’s digitally “certificate based” using Adobe Acrobat.
Note 1: We are working on a form bases solution to simplify and speed up this mNDA process.
Note 2: Daikin Europe has the right to refuse Cloud API & Documentation requests. Abuse of the Cloud API & Documentation can result in a withdraw of the provided access.