Daily Backup Solution

Thanks for the support,
is it normal that the execution of amdump does not show any message of the operation it is doing?

see my attach file:

amanda_amazon_s3

Yes. You can run amreport when amdump has finished.

Ok for a amreport,
but amdump is normal that don’t show me anything when the process is running?
no trace me any error, any percentage
 nothing

after 20 minutes my terminal is stuck. I just must waiting?

Yes it is normal.
Put it into background using & at the end so your terminal doesn’t lock up.
But you normally needn’t manually run it as it’s started from cron.

thank you so much,

after 1 hour the backup is finished.

I just read through this thread when gathering information about the amanda backup functionality included in openHABian. At the moment I have a working setup of using the openhab-cli backup on a automated basis including my nas as backup device.

To understand it right where the difference between amanda and openhab-cli is:

• The script based openhab-cli functionality only backups the openHAB related configuration files like things, items, rules and others. Personal system based configuration with auto mounts and/or cron jobs won’t be included. So in case of a desaster recovery one needs to install a clean OS first and then could restore the openHAB configuration. All system based configuration will need to be added manually.
  • The amanda based functionality could backup the whole system including OS if configured in the right way. In case of a desaster recovery one needs to restore the backup to a new sd card and the system would be up and running like before.

Can u @mstormi please clarify if my suggestions are correct? Or anyone else having deeper knowledge of the different backup options?

They’re correct. I wonder why you ask, though. Didn’t you read the README ?

Of course I did :innocent: Just wanted to double check and repeat what I have understood so far.

Just thinking what project to start first: Upgrade to 2.5 or get amanda running. May be the time between christmas and new year lasts for both :sunglasses:

When given the choice to make changes or make a backup first, always choose the make the backup first.

I’d like to add to that openhab-cli backup just redirects to the backup script that comes with openHAB ($OPENHAB_HOME/runtime/bin) . Those scripts mean that everyone (regardless of operating system) has way of backing up and restoring openHAB specific configurations.