[SOLVED] Danalock V3 - Z-Wave

I tried inclusion many times with z-stick unplugged, but every time the lock was included non-securely. After some googling and reading, I deleted lock thing, excluded it from controller, removed the lock in danalock app, did reset procedure as described here: https://doc.eedomus.com/files/Danalock_V3_Product_manual_Z_Wave_V_0.9.1.pdf
Important thing I learned from this doc is to do it while z-wave primary controller is missing or otherwise inoperable.
Then add added lock to the danalock app and once again did inclusion process but with z-stick plugged in and by triggering discovery process from paper UI.
As it took me more than one try, I thought maybe someone will find this info useful

This is extremely strange, or maybe I don’t understand quite what you’re describing. It is a requirement of ZWave that the secure key exchange occurs within 15 seconds of the inclusion into the network, so this means that the device must be included through the binding, and not with the stick unplugged. Without this, the binding will not perform the key exchange.

My guess is that if you did the inclusion twice, that the first time was effectively unnecessary as only the second one will perform the secure inclusion/key exchange.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, Chris. I didn’t know that. For all my previous 8 z-wave devices I unplugged the stick and brought it close to the device that was being included (I think I read it in Aeon Labs Z-stick manual, but I’m not sure).
And thanks for your work on the binding, so far it works for me really well!

Hi all, i finaly switched to OH 2.5 - integration w/ Danalock worked like a charm finaly - thanks - but i am missing the channels to attach it to an item; Is there anything i can do to add them?

Delete the Thing and readd it (don’t exclude/reinclude)

1 Like

Hi all. This seems like a good thread to hijack for the problems I’m having :slight_smile:

I’m trying to get my first secure node, a Danalock V3, included. First I BT paired with phone and then got the lock included, as smooth as a breeze. Then I realized that it wasn’t securely included and thus not useful. So I got the advice to factory reset the lock (here) which I have done now (ten pushes using a paperclip). However, after factory resetting I can’t seem to do anything with the lock, it doesn’t even turn up in the Danalock app so I can BT pair it with my phone again. Tried resetting it again. Anyone got any tips? Or have I completely bricked my expensive lock now?

Also, when/if I succeed with BT pairing the lock, I guess I’ll try the inclusion again and just hope that it works. But is all this hassle really the only option? I wish I could tell the controller that if it can’t include securely it shouldn’t include at all, it’s just stupid to include it in a non working way…

edit: Fixed it. Turned out a factory reset does NOT reset everything, the lock still thought it was included. So I had to first exclude it properly, THEN factory reset and then redo everything from the very beginning. Now dismounted the lock and put it only centimeters from the Z-stick and the secure inclusion worked!

Thanks for the update and explaining how to fix it. Is that the only thing required, keeping it really close to the zwave stick, to get it securely included? Or do I need to do something else, put it in secure inclusion mode or something?

If I’ve understood things correctly three things are important:

1. The distance. Seems to be important for the device to be close to the controller. My door is about two meters from my home server but I guess that was too far away.
  2. The time. A secure inclusion needs to be done within 15 seconds.
  3. Pure luck. If you don’t succeed the first time, it might be worth trying the exact same thing again. And as I said, it’s not enough just factory resetting the device, it also needs to be excluded.
1 Like

Yes, distance is important as secured connection is a direct communication.

Thank you!
Very useful!

2 questions though :slight_smile:
which channels does the dana lock provide?
How long is the battery life?

Only two channels, one for the lock itself (open/closed) and one for the battery level.

I have had mine for about half a year now and my batteries are down to 93%. I haven’t used it very actively though since my wifes first reaction was quite negative so she’s actively refused to use it. And if just one person in the household uses the key to lock/unlock things get out of phase and the lock doesn’t work as intented…

Wow - that’s impressive.
So I will order one right away :slight_smile:
I just found that there is an Entry Alarm channel.
https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/zwave/thing.html?manufacturer=polycontrol&file=btze_0_0.html

I wonder when this will be triggered (vibration without lock activities!?)
Do you use this channel?

That’s weird, I don’t see that channel here. I guess it must be a channel that didn’t exist when I first set up my lock. No idea how that would work, but I’d love to know :slight_smile:

Any hidden channels in the PaperUI config?

Anyway: I will report, as soon as I have mine up and running.

Is the inclusion procedure different than the regular inclusion?
I am about to include my danalock as well :slight_smile:

Well, it seems to be much more sensitive. Look at my post above from the 25:th of april, I have summarized what seems to be important.

Thanks and sorry that I did not see this yet! :crazy_face:

Where do I get the information from your screenshot below?
I checked my xml file in the openhab zwave directory and found:
<security>false</security>

I assume that means it’s not included securely!?

Got it! Habmin in “Attributes”
My controller does not show any security :frowning:

In PaperUI Security is set correctly - I assume:

Or should I use
All Devices?

Yes, this should be fine. You should exclude the device, reset it, and try and reinclude. The timing is important.

Alright - thanks will do
(and as close as possible as far as I read.)