Danfoss Heating devices (z-wave) supported?

Hello guys,

I am currently using another home automation system (Zipato Zipabox). Mainly to control different Z-wave devices.

As I am not happy with the cloud-dependencies of this solution, I am looking for other solutions and came to OH. As I already do have several devices, the new solution has to work with this devices. In particular:

Danfoss living connect z-wave Thermostat LC-13
Danfoss living connect z-wave room sensor "Danfoss Link RS"
Fibaro v2 smoke sensor z-wave
Sensative Strip (door sensor) z-wave

As I use the System mainly for heating control, the Danfoss devices are most important. I’ve read that the LC13 is fully supported with OH. This is correct?

But what about the Danfoss room sensor? I’m using this device as a central measuring of the current temperature in my living room and as a central unit for manually setting the desired set temperature, which then will be transferred to the controller and to the associated LC-13 valves. Furthermore I do have a scheduler for automatic adjustments of the set temperature based on days and hours. This is a feature of the controller (Zipabox).

Does anyone has this environment build with OH? Does it work?

Thanks for your support!

Regards,
Stefan

Ok, as I digged deeper into this matter, I found the DB of Chris Jackson.

The sensative Strip, the Fibaro v2 smoke sensor and the Danfoss LC-13 are in the DB, so I assume they are fully supported.

The Danfoss RS room sensor indeed isn’t in the DB. So there is nobody around using this device?

I don’t know the device, but it hopefully shouldn’t be too big of an issue to add it…

Sounds good, thanks. The device is in the pepper-db, if this helps (http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/565).
There are two versions of the device, 014G0158 and 014G0160. The 158-device is not z-wave and only usable in a danfoss environment. And the 160 device is the “open” z-wave device.

I will set up my OpenHAB in the next couple of days. I already registered on your z-wave db and hopefully we can get this going together. At the moment it is included with my current z-wave controller (Zipabox), so I can get many parameters from there (or from the pepper db).

Regards,
Stefan

I’ve created an initial entry in the database here. Ideally, when you get the device the binding will generate an XML file, and we should load this to the database to fill in a lot of the information…

I’ve updated your access so you can edit the database now - any problems, just let me know…

Chris

@chris Thanks! I finally found the time to set everything up. I’ve uploaded the xml file to your database. Got a warning “thingid empty” and a “Device supports configuration, but no parameters are defined”. Maybe you can have a look?

I also found a thread in the Domoticz forum, where someone has integrated this device in their db. Maybe this is helpful for you?!

https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9677

Thank you!

Regards,
Stefan

Chris, your DB seems to be updated, the device information has been completed.

As far as I can see, the newst cloudbees snapshot binding (#1252) is dated 13/06/2016. So I assume the device isn’t yet integrated. Does this happen “automatically”?

If it’s relevant, I am using OH1, not OH2.

Thanks,
Stefan

Semi automatically… Once the database updates are ‘published’ (ie when I or one of the other people with admin rights presses a button on the web interface) the files are generated automatically. The I periodically copy them into the binding and create a PR - this part is manual, but I try and do it daily if there are database updates…

I think I did this device yesterday, so todays binding should have this device - ah, except I’ve just read the last line of your last message saying that you are using OH1, so this needs to be done still… I’ll do that now…

Chris

Thanks @chris! I downloaded the newest binding, refreshed my z-wave devices and et voilà, the device was fully integrated! Unfortunately, there are some errors remaining in the log. Every time I press the LED button of the device (the button activates the display light for some seconds), the following errors occur:

2016-06-17 21:03:17.855 [ERROR] [ApplicationCommandMessageClass] - NODE 3: Unknown command class 0x5b 2016-06-17 21:03:17.908 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending 2016-06-17 21:03:18.015 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending 2016-06-17 21:03:18.122 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending

In the Danfoss manual there is mentioned, that a “network test” is done when the button is pressed. Maybe that is the cause for the error messages?

I would probably ignore the errors…

The unknown command class will likely be added soon, but it’s the scene class, so it’s not that common anyway…

The CAN errors will happen occasionally - they generally mean a protocol error on the serial port. If it’s not happening regularly, then I’d ignore it.

If you can correlate it with something you’re doing, then please provide a debug log and I’ll take a look.

Yes, as I wrote it always happens when I press the LED button of the room sensor.

Debug log…well…I have to figure out how to do this… :wink:

BRB

Ok - you didn’t say that though - you just said that a network test is done when the button is pressed - not that the errors happen at that time.

It’s described on the zwave wiki page.

Anyway…doesn’t matter…I’m glad for your help! You are doing an unbelievable job here!

Still working on the debug log. Is it enough to change “INFO” to “DEBUG” in logback.xml and run openhab normally? Or do I have to start OH with start_debug.sh? Can I C&P the log here or should I upload it anywhere?

In fact, I do not have a “start_debug.sh” file…or at least I am not able to find it…

Yes, you can just change the logback to show DEBUG and then restart - this should generate the log.

Thanks @chris! Here we go with the log. Node 3 is the room sensor. After pressing the LED button, there was kind of a log flooding… :wink:zwave.log.json (151.1 KB)

I’ve had a look over the log and I don’t really see any reason for the CAN response. OH hasn’t sent any messages, and my understanding of the CAN message is it’s meant to advise the host that it has rejected a message -:

The CAN frame is used by the ZW to instruct the host that a host transmitted data frame has been dropped.

So, this doesn’t really make sense, but it doesn’t seem to cause any problem. I do also note some other errors in your log - OOF errors which mean that data is being received when it isn’t expected at all.

What hardware are you using? Maybe it’s something to do with that. That said, some serial errors aren’t uncommon, so it’s maybe it’s not a big issue…

I am using an RPi3 with the current Raspian release. As z-wave stick, I am using Aeon Labs Gen. 5 stick. And the latest OH1 release with current zwave binding (cloudbees snapshot).

As zwave devices: Two Danfoss LC13 thermostat, one Danfoss room sensor, one Sensative strip (door sensor) and a Fibaro FGSD002 smoke sensor. Nothing extraordinary. And some HUE hulbs, integrated via HUE binding.

Some additional information:

if no item for the device is defined i get the following entries in the log when pressing the LED button:

2016-06-20 11:27:02.730 [WARN ] [.z.internal.ZWaveActiveBinding] - NODE 81: No item bound for event, endpoint = 0, command class = BATTERY, value = 100, ignoring.
2016-06-20 11:27:02.900 [WARN ] [.z.internal.ZWaveActiveBinding] - NODE 81: No item bound for event, endpoint = 0, command class = SENSOR_MULTILEVEL, value = 22.43, ignoring.
2016-06-20 11:27:03.071 [WARN ] [.z.internal.ZWaveActiveBinding] - NODE 81: No item bound for event, endpoint = 0, command class = INDICATOR, value = 0, ignoring.
2016-06-20 11:27:03.240 [WARN ] [.z.internal.ZWaveActiveBinding] - NODE 81: No item bound for event, endpoint = 0, command class = THERMOSTAT_SETPOINT, value = 21, ignoring.
2016-06-20 11:27:03.415 [WARN ] [.z.internal.ZWaveActiveBinding] - NODE 81: No item bound for event, endpoint = 0, command class = THERMOSTAT_SETPOINT, value = 21.5, ignoring.
2016-06-20 11:27:13.450 [WARN ] [.z.internal.ZWaveActiveBinding] - NODE 81: No item bound for event, endpoint = 0, command class = CENTRAL_SCENE, value = {key=0, scene=1}, ignoring.

if define a item for “command=central_scene” any type (string, contact etc.) i get only the

2016-06-20 11:25:21.608 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending
2016-06-20 11:25:21.748 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending
2016-06-20 11:25:23.168 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending
2016-06-20 11:25:31.788 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending
2016-06-20 11:25:31.928 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending
2016-06-20 11:25:32.068 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending
2016-06-20 11:25:32.208 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending
2016-06-20 11:25:32.348 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending
2016-06-20 11:25:32.488 [ERROR] [eController$ZWaveReceiveThread] - Protocol error (CAN), resending

additional the configuration params did not appear in Habmin:

i use the zwave snapshot 1256 from 06/20/2016

As far as I know, there are no parameters? At least, there aren’t any defined in the database, so if this is incorrect, then please update the database.

I add the params 1 to 11 to the database