DateTime Conversion (openHAB 2.x)

You can try #1, but you have to watch the string-format.

For me this works for DateTimeType:

val MyString = "2018-10-27T18:39:00.105+0200"
val DateTimeType MyDateTimeType = DateTimeType.valueOf(MyString) // Format "yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.SSSZ"
logInfo("Demo", "      #1 MyDateTimeType = " + MyDateTimeType.toString)

Edit: @halloween sorry, my mistake. You talk about Joda DateTime. Right?
So it should be #5.

val MyString = "2018-10-27T18:39:00.105+0200"
val DateTime MyJodaFromString = new DateTime(MyString)
logInfo("Demo", "      #5 MyJodaFromString = " + MyJodaFromString.toString)

I never knew about withTime. That can eliminate a lot of the withTimeAtStartOfDay.plusHours stuff. Iā€™m surprised there isnā€™t a with date that works the same.

Thought I brought it up in a DST conversation in the ToD DP thread as an alternative to withTimeAtStartOfDay, since it is DST safe. Sorry for being OT, but this is very handy with Intervalsā€¦

import org.joda.time.Interval
import org.joda.time.Days

if (new Interval(now.withTime(9,0,0,0), now.withTime(17,0,0,0)).contains(now)) {
    // do stuff between 9am and 5pm

Another use of Interval with a DateTime Itemā€¦

if (new Interval(Days.days(7), new DateTime(Sun_Eclipse_Total.toString)).contains(now)) {
    // do eclipse stuff

I want to get the time into a datetime item, so it would be #1 i think? No variable with joda-datetime.

But my given string is in the format ā€œ2018-10-25 11:00ā€. So there is no ā€œTā€ and no ā€œ+02:00ā€ inside itā€¦ So how can i change this given string-item into a datetime-item?

Try something like that:

val String MyDate = DWD_Pollen_last_update.state.toString().substring(0, 10)
val String MyTime = DWD_Pollen_last_update.state.toString().substring(11, 16)
val String MyString = MyDate + "T" + MyTime + ":00.000+0200"
val DateTimeType MyDateTimeTypeFromString = DateTimeType.valueOf(MyString)
PollenLastUpdateDateTime.postUpdate(MyDateTimeTypeFromString) 

Edit: This worked for me after I solved an error in the suggested code.

Is this tutorial affected by the recent breaking change discussed here?

Looks like it will be affected. Thank you for that information.
I would not update this threat until the new version 2.4 is released.
What do you think?

1 Like

Because the breakage is bigger than expected there is discussion of going back to joda for the time being or figuring out a way to get those missing methods back. Watch the pr thread for details. I wouldnā€™t do anything until that gets resolved.

1 Like

There is a method withDate:

Returns a copy of this datetime with the specified date, retaining the time fields.

I have searched and searched, but need some help. Maybe somebody ( @rlkoshak? ) knows the trick I need or what Iā€™m doing wrongā€¦

Trying to instantiate a DateTime with the epoch milliseconds not from calendar or now.millis but from a number item (set by Android HAAS app). I am multiplying by 1000 to get milliseconds first and storing result as a Number. When I try to use DateTime constructor though I get an Error. I have tried to explicitly set the ā€˜alarmTimeā€™ variable as a long and other things, but nothing seems to work. Here is the relevant code:

val Number milliseconds = (Bedside_Light_Alarm_DateTime.state as Number) * 1000
        logInfo("Debugging DateTime crap...", "The milliseconds is: " + milliseconds)
        val DateTime alarmTime = new DateTime(milliseconds)
        logInfo("Debugging DateTime crap...", "The alarmTime Calender/DateTime is: " + alarmTime.toString)
2019-01-14 10:26:38.786 [INFO ] [el.script.Debugging DateTime crap...] - The milliseconds is: 1547506800000

2019-01-14 10:26:38.789 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'Bedroom Light Alarm Updated': No instant converter found for type: java.math.BigDecimal
new DateTime(milliseconds.longValue)

The constructor requires a primitive (I think long) but milliseconds is a Number.

1 Like

Glad I summoned you, that did the job. Thanks!

Awesome post, helped me out.

Thanks
Paul

Number AlarmClock
DateTime Alarmzeit "Alarmzeit [%1$tH:%1$tM]"

This ruleā€¦

rule "Alarmzeit"
when
    Item AlarmClock changed
then
    val DateTimeType MyDateTimeTypeFromEpoch = new DateTimeType(new DateTime(AlarmClock).toString)
    logInfo("Algemein.rules",MyDateTimeTypeFromEpoch.toString)
end

causes this errorā€¦

2019-05-01 19:47:28.139 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'Alarmzeit': No instant converter found for type: org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library.items.NumberItem

What is wrong in my converting? Maybe someone can help.

new DateTime(AlarmClock.state.toString)

1 Like
rule "Alarmzeit"
when
    Item AlarmClock changed
then
    val DateTimeType MyDateTimeTypeFromEpoch = new DateTime(AlarmClock.state.toString)
end

Now there is a differnt error:

2019-05-01 22:03:56.828 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'Alarmzeit': Invalid format: "1556769600000" is malformed at "0000"

AlarmClock isnā€™t a DateTimeType nut a Number. You need to convert the Number to a long.

new DateTime((AlarmClock.state as Number).longValue)

or something like that.

I missed that in the OP.

Sorry Rich,
still not working. How hard could it be to convert a ordinary number.

rule "Alarmzeit"
when
    Item AlarmClock changed
then
    val DateTimeType MyDateTimeTypeFromEpoch = new DateTime((AlarmClock.state as Number).longValue)
end
2019-05-04 14:10:14.611 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule 'Alarmzeit': An error occurred during the script execution: Could not invoke method: org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library.types.DateTimeType.toString() on instance: 2019-05-04T14:20:17.795+02:00

DateTime and DateTimeType are not the same thing. Youā€™ve declared the available to be DateTimeType but you are creating a DateTime to store in the variable.

1 Like

Too obvious I guess. Thanks a lot. Problem solved.:grinning: