Designer won't start under Windows 7 or 8

I am unable to start the downloaded Windows package from OpenHab Designer. Tried it with a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 computer (Jave installed, OpenHab running on both of them). The programm stops with an exception log starting with ‘Jave was started but returned exit code=13’.
I cannot believe that the actual official dowload package is not working in a most usual Windows environment. Do you have any hints for me?

Which version of Designer did you download and which version of the JRE are you running? This error usually pops up when you have a 64-bit compiled Java application that you are trying to run on a 32-bit JRE (or visea versa).

Tank you for your quick reply.
I use the actual Windows download from the Openhab Homepage (distribution-1.8.3-designer-win.zip). There is no option to download 32 bit or 64 bit version for Windows, so I have no idea what it is.
I am running Java 8 with the 64 bit version on my computers so probably the Designer Application is 32 bit? What can I do in this case?

Install the 32Bit version of java …

Install the 32-bit JRE. You can have both installed side by side.

I’m not positive this will solve the problem. I did a little bit of poking around in the zip file and some of the text implies it should work with either JRE. I’ve only ever run Designer on Linux so assumed it works similarly on Windows.

A lot of people have it running on Windows though so it should work.

Unfortunately it does not: I had to install the 32Bit version of Java to get it run under Windows 64 Bit.

That is really good to know and probably should be noted on the download page. Any idea if this is also true for the OSX version?

No idea, sorry, just a win and linux user …

Thank you very much rlkoshak and sihui. Parallel installation of 32bit Java is the solution. I also would recommend that this should be noted on the download page.