desiredHeat Setting Breaking ecobee config

I am new to OpenHAB but come in with decent Linux experience. Currently running OpenHAB 1.8 on a RPII image.

I am attempting to setup the controls to update the temperature settings for my ecobee. It works fine-ish when using only desiredCool, but as soon as I add desiredHeat everything breaks. Thermostat is currently set to Auto mode. I am able to pull sensor temps back with no issue, and I am able to pull the cooling temp back with no issue. As soon as I uncomment the desiredHeat option everything goes to hell.

items -
Number desiredCoolUp “Desired Upstairs cooling temp [%.1f °F]” { ecobee="<[xxx#runtime.desiredCool]" }
Number desiredHeatUp “Desired Upstairs heating temp [%.1f °F]” { ecobee="<[xxx#runtime.desiredHeat]" }

rules -
import org.openhab.core.library.types.*

rule CoolHold
when
Item desiredCoolUp received command
then
logInfo(“CoolHold”, "Setting cool setpoint to " + receivedCommand.toString)
val DecimalType desiredCoolTemp = receivedCommand as DecimalType
var DecimalType desiredHeatTemp
if (desiredHeatUp.state instanceof DecimalType) {
desiredHeatTemp = desiredHeat.state as DecimalType
} else {
desiredHeatTemp = new DecimalType(50)
}

// the 1.9 onwards action bundle uses a selection string instead of an item as the first parameter
// ecobeeSetHold(“123456789012”, desiredCoolTemp, desiredHeatTemp, null, null, null, null, null)
// openHAB 1.8 call:
ecobeeSetHold(desiredCoolUp, desiredCoolTemp, desiredHeatTemp, null, null, null, null, null)
end

logs -
2016-06-27 15:40:03.420 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve visibility item hvacMode for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 15:40:03.426 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredCoolUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 15:40:03.448 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredCoolUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 15:40:03.455 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredCoolUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 15:40:03.462 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve visibility item hvacMode for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 15:40:03.470 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredHeatUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 15:40:03.492 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredHeatUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 15:40:03.499 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredHeatUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint

That looks like it might be related to your sitemap. Could you triple check your sitemap file for errors, possibly using openHAB Designer?

And if you are using openHAB 1.8.0, definitely consider upgrading as there were UI bugs fixed in the latest release (1.8.3) (possibly unrelated).

I can look into upgrading, on the sitemap I am doing everything through console and vi just because it gives me warm and fuzzies.

Here’s my current setup:
Frame label=“Upstairs Status” {
Text item=UpTemp icon="ecobee"
Text item=SeanTemp icon="ecobee"
Setpoint item=desiredCoolUp label=“Cool [%.1f °F]” minValue=50 maxValue=80 step=1 visibility=[hvacMode==auto] icon="snow-flake-icon"
Setpoint item=desiredHeatUp label=“Heat [%.1f °F]” minValue=50 maxValue=80 step=1 visibility=[hvacMode==auto] icon=“snow-flake-icon”
}

It is just a test setup until I decide how I want it all to look and feel. I have tried with both the desiredHeatUp item listed or commented out. The only time I ever get traction with the desiredCoolUp working is when I comment out the heat line in my items file.

…and now that I said that I tried it again to take some screen shots (having removed desiredHeat settings) and the desiredCool is erroring in the logs… assuming something is not right in the Sitemap dump I did above.

2016-06-27 18:54:08.040 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve visibility item hvacMode for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 18:54:08.045 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredCoolUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 18:54:08.061 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredCoolUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2016-06-27 18:54:08.066 [ERROR] [o.u.i.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item desiredCoolUp for widget org.openhab.model.sitemap.Setpoint

Interesting item of note, I installed habmin to work on some z-wave devices. I noticed in my configuration that I show all of my config items but the desiredCool/desiredHeat are not showing. Not sure if that helps or hinders. :slight_smile:

I recommend loading up the openHAB Designer and looking at both your .items and .sitemap files to make sure they are both syntactically correct. I now think there may be some hidden typo in your .items file(s).

While coding in vi may give you warm fuzzies, I strongly recommend taking @watou’s advice and use Designer. The errors produced by openHAB are arcane and often do not make sense and the syntax can be finicky. You are doing yourself a great disservice and setting yourself up for extended troubleshooting by not using Designer.

You could spend hours trying to figure out a simple error that Designer would tell you about immediately upon loading the file.

1 Like

Copy that, and thanks for the advice. I plan on blowing away the installation and starting fresh on 1.9 using OpenHAB Designer. I will report back after I get everything setup again and note if I am still having issues. Thanks for the advice.

I ripped OpenHAB and reinstalled through apt-get without the demo files I had setup previously. With the clean install I was able to better configure everything and it all worked off the bat. I still do not know what the issue was, but it worked using the same configs I had from before.

The only items that changed were installing through apt-get instead of binaries and “upgrading” from Java 7 to Java 8. Technically I already had it installed however the java version was pointing to 7. This was to fix an issue I was seeing with habmin and zwave devices.

I have moved to doing all my updates through the IDE instead of vi. Yeah I have less warm and fuzzies, but everything is SO MUCH easier to work with.

Thanks for the help everyone.

EDIT - I am still on 1.8.3 as that was the version installed through apt-get. I will plan on upgrading when available.

1 Like