It seems useful for me to create a new binding to improve my skills regarding the new procedures of openHAB 2.5.x.
Therefore I picked the Helly Dolly approach, which is quite famous in the WordPress community: a line of the lyrics of the Louis Armstrong’s song will be shown in a text field on the user interface.
My goal is that this thread will help other developers too, who want to get started with binding development. Maybe it will be even possible to put the contents of this thread into the official docs after the binding will be finished. I will keep this thread updated and thanks in advance for all the people who want to contribute or support me with some advice.
Workflow of creating the Helly Dolly binding:
- Start with an issue on Github, here issue number 6176, see https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/issues/6176
- Start a discussion thread here in this community, see this thread.
- Fork openhab2-addons project and create your own fork, here “feature-binding-helly-dolly”, see https://github.com/Jochen1980/openhab2-addons/tree/feature-binding-hello-dolly/bundles/org.openhab.binding.hellodolly
- Sign the commit with your name and the corresponding ticket.
- Build your binding skeleton by using “mvn clean install”.
- copy the jar-file of the binding target folder to an openHAB-runtime environment in the addons folder and verify if the binding was successfully added by opening the PaperUI, binding configuration section.
- continue to build the binding …
- create a pull request to the main repo.