Development of openHAB 3.0.0 and 2.5.x

See first post by @Kai

3 Likes

Thanks!, I read it twice but still missed that one. Now that I read the github issue through I can still not see if there is a definite decision on 3.0, but at least for the end of 2020 it will be Java11.

I think that initial decision by the maintainers is that openHAB 3 will only work with Java 11.

I have one question/point of clarification.

The core of OH will be frozen at 2.5.1 which makes sense. And I understand that the core has been modified so it will support later versions (e.g. 2.5.2) of add-ons. How will the discovery and installation of these later versions of the add-ons occur? Do they need to be manually installed (i.e. download and copy the jar to the addons folder)? Should users just clear the cache periodically to force a reinstall of the add-ons, picking up the new versions? Click on something in PaperUI? Do we know the answer yet?

6 Likes

Is there any documentation on how to migrate 1.x bindings? I’ll try to get started on migrating InsteonPLM when I get a chance.

1 Like

Also there is a list to track migrations:

When things settle down, are there plans to add an OH3 column?

I heard that OH3 add-ons will not work on 2.5.x due to namespace issues (fully removing/renaming the Eclipse smarthome components/name spaces).

How do we handle that? Will the master somewhen switched to the new namespaces? How to have ongoing support for 2.5.x users? If there anything I could do to have a smooth migration?

@Kai would like to see a slightly later release date for 2.5.1 so we could move the PR the 2.5.x branch and do a solid review. Maybe Jan 19 to give all of us the time to work on quality? I doubt there is or will be a good pile for the reviewers, which needs to be processed so everything gets in?

1 Like

Technically speaking it is possible in similar way as it was made for OH1 - by providing compatibility layer. We know what types were in OH2 and what packages are present in OH3. Mapping can be done at the build time or runtime by basic adapter types which will adapt org.eclipse.smarthome package to org.openhab.core.
It can be also semi-automated by basic IDE support falling into category of “migrate package” or “migrate jar”, depending if you are on IntelliJ or Eclipse.

My understanding is we are obligated to remove all references to org.eclipse.smarthome. Wouldn’t that obligation also apply to such an adapter?

I would guess that would need to be arranged through the Eclipse Foundation?

No. The table is only for oh1 addons.

That is correct. But that has no effect on the configuration. So a user can simply upgrade openHAB and it would still work (not taking into account other changes)

Master has already been migrated, see the post. At some point oh2 will be migrated to oh3 most likely with automated scripting.

This was also addressed in the post.

There will be other releases, see post, so that would not be a reason to postpone the release.

Even if technically possible there is no intention to do such thing, and because it’s only the namespace, not a change of interface change like with oh1 it relative easy to migrate a oh2 binding to oh3, unlike with oh1. Actual the code of core has been migrated with simple script. So adding all kinds of ide support is far more work than simply migrating a binding.

1 Like

So if I read this correct, 2.5.0 Stable will be released as 2.5.1 distro and incorporate the Add ons fix as well as other fixes identified when 2.5.0 was prematurely released with major bugs?

Are the Installation documents being updated as part of this?

1 Like

Not quite. There was a serious bug identified with 2.5.1 release core. This has been fixed and a new release, 2.5.1 will occur on the release repo. After that the core of OH will remain at version 2.5.1. However, developers can continue to make updates to bindings and other add-ons. These updates will be released as 2.5.2+ versions of the bindings. These updates to bindings will run on the 2.5.1 core.

There is nothing you need to do differently to install openHAB so I’m not sure what updates you want to be made to the installation docs.

What we don’t know yet (see my post above) is how we will install the 2.5.2+ versions of the add-ons. At such time as we know that, we (probably I) will update the docs if appropriate.

3 Likes

I forgot to answer this. There will be an addons Kar file distributed via the way openHAB is always distributed. Users will be able to upgrade the addons part. I don’t know the specifics. Previous updates were for the whole system, while this only updates one part, the addons. This is new and the reason the update of the distribution is needed.

1 Like

That is currently used if you install the addons package. They are correcting an issue in the 2.5.0 package that only affected fresh installations.

So this whole addons.config issue is or is not being addressed in 2.5.1? Be great if there was a bug list of what’s fixed above 2.5.0

The issue being foxed is when you perform a new install of openhab2 and openhab2-addons the initial dashboard either does not show or only shows for about a minute before it is uninstalled. They added the initial dashboard to the addons kar file, I believe.

Great, so it’s effectively fixed in 2.5.1