Development of openHAB 3.0.0 and 2.5.x

Great, so it’s effectively fixed in 2.5.1

That is what I pushed for.

I have a question. If updated addons become a kar in the addons folder how does that interact with any existing manually installed jar files there?

Hello everyone! Is this right place to post suggestions for OH 3 ?

1. Introduce channel dependencies in binding XML. I mean when a channel is visible or not according to a setting on another channel. I know it can be configured in sitemap, but would be nice to have it in binding’s XML as a template. Or use disabled state instead of invisible. I think it would make controls more consistent. For instance, some devices have master on/off switch, and in OFF state other controls are ineffective, so it’s quite logical to have them in disabled state.
  2. Add some parameters (properties) for manual discovery. This would be very handy in some cases, where you need to use something like one-time password in order to perform initial connection to a device.
1 Like

This would be the correct place, I believe.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: IDE setup

My 2 cents regarding the new UI: I don’t think that typescript would put off contributions or that it has a learning curve (unless you start abusing it). But it does make refactoring easier and moving forward way faster and saves you a lot in the long run.

2 Likes

Wil it still be possible to configure openhab completely from text files?

4 Likes

im just getting started with openHab for my Connected-Bus-Project… but I see the Serial binding which I very much need is a 1.x.x… does that mean I need to give up on OH already and go find a different setup? that there will be no more Serial Support in OH3 when it releases??
-Christophjer

I believe may bindings use serial. zwave is one I know will make it to OH3 eventually. Perhaps you can learn what they are using.

No. I suspect that there will be a 2.x/3.x version of the serial binding created. Much of the hard work is already done (that serial service that Bruce mentions which is shared by several bindings). All that needs to be done is create a binding that exposes the serial binding so users can more easily create and configure Things (a la MQTT 2 binding).

Should my expectations not pan out and a serial binding does not get developed before 3.0 comes out, there is almost certainly going to be a way to easily run a stripped down version of OH 1 and use a federation capability to connect that to an OH 3 instance. Obviously this would be a stop gap plan b type of approach but it would get you by if the binding doesn’t get released before OH 3.

You can also stick to OH 2.5 (or any earlier version of OH).

You can also look into possibly providing some help to create a 2.x version for the serial binding. This is not the only v1 binding that is kind of important. TCP and HTTP also do not have v2 bindings yet (HTTP one is definitely in work).

3 Likes

Wish this was in the release notes, took me hours to find out what was going on when I upgraded to 2.5 (qnap club distro)

It only affects new installations (not upgrades) and only with the addons package installed. That package is not normally needed if the system has Internet access to download only the needed addons.

I done an upgrade on my qnap and it broke openhab, not found error for paperui. Done a fresh install still the same, then checked the console and features were not installed.
Added paperui and configured addons.cfg and all working

No, file a GitHub issue in core and make it as specific as possible (one for each request). If someone else has to design the specifics it’s very unlikely it will ever be picked up, simple because a lack off time, unless a developer has the same request. So for your suggestions also propose how that would look like in actual configuration. This would greatly increase the change that it will be implemented or at least have a better discussion.

I have no indication anybody involved in core development is even considering to remove text file configuration.

1 Like

If you upgraded to 2.5.1 snapshot there was a packaging bug that caused the same symposium. I understand that too has been fixed.

End of support for 1.x bindings. Of this I was afraid when I read about 3.x

The reason why I started using Openhab was because of the Nikobus 1.x binding. If this doesn’t work anymore in 3.x then I will never use it and stay on 2.x. Pitty.
And as this binding is a very niche one, I am afraid nobody will migrate it to 2.x 3.x . Doubt I am knowledge enough to do it myself. Will take a look though.

@tom_il Actually, the Nikobus binding has already been migrated to OH 2.5. So, not so niche after all.

3 Likes

I do not use this binding, but isn’t there already a 2.x binding?

Wow, Perfect. I looked around and in 2.2 which I am running its not there. Do I need 2.5 then ?