Disable Landing Page

Is there any way to disable the “Welcome to openHAB 2” Landing Page and go directly to a preselected UI? Let’s say I want to give a non-experienced User Access to my System, then I don’t want them to see all those Options but instead just send them straight to the Basic UI or Classic UI which they kinda know from OpenHAB 1.

Bump! I am having this issue too.

I used nginx for that and simply redirected the people there.

If they are on your network can’t you just use a bookmark? or direct url link?

Creating a bookmark on every single device is totally crazy. I am using nginx now to send a 302 based on the username and then they end up whereever I want them to end up.

hello, Fiole,
Could you please send me link about tutorial on how to use nginx? I already use reverse proxy from openhabian-config to give authentication on port 80. I don’t mind if port 8080 show /start/index page, but I would like port 80 to go straight to basicUI

So you need a simple, unconditional redirect?

just add the following line under the proxy_pass part in the “location /” directive

rewrite ^/start/index$ /basicui/app redirect;

currently, I am completely blind about nginx. which file should I edit? Or should I create new file for this? Google search tells me the location of nginx is in /etc/nginx and I should never edit nginx.conf file.
Or should I edit file on /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/openhab ?

/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/openhab sounds good.

this works!!! Thanks a lot, Fiole! I really love this helpful community

EDIT: Now I’m beginning to wonder, what if we use multiple user to access different sitemap? I, as admin, can open everything, my son should only able to control his room on his sitemap, etc.

I believe this is possible, I just don’t know where to look or learn about this that is newbie friendly

hello again, I am now have confilcted control with the router. I switched to a prolink router PRM3001 that everytime I use the

it will redirect me back to prolink router page.
I use port forwarding from WAN port 81 to LAN port 80 on my pi.

If I delete that line, I am able to go to openhab page, that is not bypassing the landing page.

I am sorry I didn’t see the edit, otherwise I would have answered earlier. This is my complete redirect in order to make the user Thomas go directly to the Basic UI. All other users will see the landing page:

if ($remote_user = "Thomas") {
}

Those lines can be added for every user that you wish to not see the landing page. However, that does not prevent those users from accessing the other UIs by their direct URLs. For me the purpose of doing this was just to make it easier for users that used my openhab1 system before.

I am not really sure what is causing that redirect issue, it is probably that you are changing the port from 81 to 80. Maybe adding port_in_redirect off; to the server block of your config file helps (right in the line after listen 80; for example).

1 Like

Those lines can be added for every user that you wish to not see the landing page. However, that does not prevent those users from accessing the other UIs by their direct URLs. For me the purpose of doing this was just to make it easier for users that used my openhab1 system before.

This is also the reason of I asking for user specific landing page that should go to their own sitemap. Most non geeks are unable to search other pages, so I let it be. I also imagine that an angry child after scolded by his parents in a smart home environment, turn on and off lamps and air conditioners on his parent’s room would be inconvenient.

I am not really sure what is causing that redirect issue, it is probably that you are changing the port from 81 to 80. Maybe adding port_in_redirect off; to the server block of your config file helps (right in the line after listen 80; for example).

I believe it is from router part. It is nearly impossible to have complete control from common end user routers. I buy and learn mikrotik just for the sole purpose of openhab, and pi hole

I solve my problem by making nginx listening to port 81 instead of 80.

## Reverse Proxy to openHAB
server {
    listen                          81; //I change this from 80 to 81
#   listen                          443 ssl;
    server_name                     DOMAINNAME;
#   add_header                      Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000$