Discovery problems Aeon Home Energy Meter Gen5 - debug logging?

On OpenHab 2.5.5 on Ubuntu Linux with an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 controller.
I’m trying to include Aeon Labs ZW095-A Home Energy Meter Gen5, but so far discovery initiated through PaperUI does not find anything.

How can I enable debugging logs which are meaningful for the discovery?
“log:set DEBUG” on the OpenHab Karaf console gives me way too much seemingly irrelevant log output.

Thanks!
-Max

Edit: I’m actually having a Z-Stick S2 Controller from Aeon Labs.

You can change the debug level of specific bindings by appending the binding name to the log command.

log:set DEBUG org.openhab.binding.zwave
1 Like

Another data point: I put together a test setup with Ubuntu 20.04, OH 2.5.8, Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 Plus and the HEM does get discovered.

I’m wondering now which item I should upgrade on my “production” setup:

• OH: 2.5.5 --> 2.5.8, or
  • zwave controller: Z-Stick S2 Controller from Aeon Labs --> Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 Plus

What to watch out when changing the zwave controller while keeping all my things?
Should I run the new zwave controller in addition to the old one?

Edit: I do see post “Replacing ZWave controller”.

@chris can correct me, but most Z-Wave controllers use the same chipsets. I doubt changing controllers would help anything.

I guess a simple approach could be to add the new controller to my prod, see whether it does discover the HEM. Then I can still decide how to proceed.

Did you get the logs like @JustinG suggested? What did they show - they should give lots of data points :wink:

As @Bruce_Osborne said, pretty much all controllers (currently) are pretty much the same - same firmware, same hardware. It’s unlikely your problem is with the controller - many people use the HEM and I’m sure they use different controllers.

2 Likes

So I completely rebuilt my Openhab installation from scratch, now with v2.5.8 and using the new Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 Plus controller and my HEM Gen5 got properly discovered and I’m receiving values.
I’m a happy camper now :slight_smile:

@chris, yes, I was able to get the more detailed karaf logs, but they didn’t help me at all with my problem.
It appeared to me my old controller Z-Stick S2 and my HEM simply weren’t talking.