Display data on a website

Hi all,
I tried searching for “Display Openhab data on website” but the only results I got was how to extract data from a website to Openhab.
What I want is to display 2 temperature items on a website so my guests can see this data. There must be a simple way to do this and I’m probably not searching hard enough. So my apologies for that in advance.
Or is there a way to point someone to the page url. Or to display the page in a way no one can edit something?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Koensk,
you can load states or entire items by using the rest api. A get request to http://openhab:8080/rest/items/temperature_outside/state will give you the state of the item temperature_outside.
Does that already help you?

First we have to know what is possible on this website: PHP, SQL ???

With “sendHttpGetRequest” it is possible to call a PHP script, which save some data in SQL or a file.
SQL or the file can be called on load of your webiste, to display the data sent by openhab.

Thanks guys.
The things is. I don’t have a website yet. So in fact I think I could make a special Openhab page and make that somehow public so people could navigate to this page. Or is this a bad idea as we far as security goes :wink:
Otherwise I would just need to make a simple website and pull the data as Jan suggests.

http://winkl.net/

I made this one, because i was bored three years ago :grinning:

1 Like

That’s exactly what I meant.

I wrote my own webpage with NextJS because I know that toolkit quite well. NextJS is a React toolkit that allows you to write server side code. You do not need to expose openhab to the internet, only to the web server.

Choose a technology and we try to help you get openhab working with it.

• PHP
  • NextJS / React
  • Vanilla Javascript (Vanilla means pure js, the code you write is really the code in the browser)
  • many, many more

I created some simple webpage with wordpress and Elementor. Would I be able to use your mentioned methode in this way?

Hi @Koensk
that should be possible but I do not know wordpress or any configuration of it. So I am not even sure what the wp_remote_get function is for, is it something for developers or something you can use?

So a simple way would be to create an OpenHAB 3 page and make a link or iframe.

Or if I just make a very very simple HTML website would that be an idea?

Maybe a better idea is to ask my website builder to take care of this. As this goes beyond all my knowledge ;-). So I have tot tell him to make a simple php website?

Show him the document about the REST API ( openHAB REST API | openHAB ). Show him the REST API Explorer, let him know the items to be displayed on the page and he will know what to do … If it is php, java, javascript, python or whatever doesn’t matter.

Thank you

We’ve done it!
https://www.camping-liesbos.nl/nl/temperatuur-zwembad

1 Like

-19 degree C for a swimming pool isn’t that a bit too cold ? Could do ice skating.

Haha yes it is. That’s the temp sensor of the freezer.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.