Distributed, coordinated, reasoning control

Hi,
I am a master student in Essen, also working for the chair, embarking on the enterprise to bring a new aspect to the great openHAB2 project as my master’s thesis.
The details are a bit complicated to explain, but I will try to here, also I’ll be at the eclipseCon in three weeks, hoping to be able to meet with at least you @Kai and talk a bit about the approach.
I’m writing here now, because I need a little guide where and how to start in terms of code, also to make you all aware of the idea and get your suggestions.

We want to take a somehow different approach in applying the smart home system, which is modeled and controlled by ESH/openHAB2.
Until now, there is (as far as I understand it, please correct me) a rule engine, which can determine which commands to execute based on basic sensor data, state, variables and external service data.

We propose an option to connect multiple instances of openHAB, each of them possibly in the separate flats of a house or in the separate houses of a street or neighborhood. Those independent instances could then communicate with each other to influence the local control of the smart home, e.g. arrange an agreement, when exactly each instance starts it’s washing machine.

This could be an important contribution to implement load shifting on electricity networks: If every washing machine in a neighborhood starts at the same time, it means a huge load (ca. 2000W/machine) on the net. If the smart homes coordinate, it would mean a great help for keeping stability and reliability. Also, this way electricity might be usable in times, where it is easily available and cheap (at night or noon).

To implement this, a technique called MAS - multi agent system, specifically the FIPA compliant JADE framework (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Agent_Development_Framework), would be used. Each smart home would run at least one agent, acting as an interface between the own openHAB instance and the other agents in the geographical vicinity/community.

This way, not someone else controls your washing machine, but only your own agent acts on your behalf within the presets of freedom you grant to him, e.g. “washing can start from 08:00 and should be finished between 15:00 and 18:00 pm”. Within this boundaries, the agent might pause washing at certain points (e.g. when the machine is not currently filled with water). You wouldn’t need a new “smart” machine, but only a switchable socket (every modern machine will simply continue the program after a power loss). Privacy and security can be maintained.

To convey an understanding of energy and such to the agent and to model the context, the Energy Option Model (EOM) would be used (see http://www.agent-hygrid.net/en/publications/).

After this long background story:
What would be the best point in the code too hook into? Would it be best situated at org.eclipse.smarthome.automation (github.com/eclipse/smarthome/tree/master/bundles/automation)? Also, there is documentation about developing a binding (which I suspect this approach won’t be?!) but I didn’t find anything regarding implementing a “Service” or “System Integration” or a “Misc”“Extension”/“Add-On”.

I successfully set up a openHAB development environment guided by docs.openhab.org/developers/development/ide.html and one guided by eclipse.org/smarthome/documentation/development/ide.html, I am an intermediate Java programmer with experience Vanilla Java, JADE Agents and Android development but will have to get myself familiar with OSGi.
Also I have set up a openHAB2 instance on a RaspberryPi2 with a ZME_UZB1 Z-Wave stick and a connected Greenwave Powernode 310-F switchable/meterable socket, which is able to switch and meter the washing machine.

Is this interesting for you? Can you help me? :slight_smile:

Cheers,
friesenkiwi/Hanno - Felix Wagner
Universität Duisburg-Essen

A binding is an Add-On. The two are sometimes erroneously used interchangeably. From your description I would think that an Action would be a natural fit. In a rule to turn on the washing machine I could see a command to the agent to go out and ask permission to run, it would negotiate that permission while the call blocks, and once permission is received and the right time has occurred the Action would return and allow the Rule to run.

I’m not fully up on the OH/ESH code base, but I believe the only addon extension points the architecture is built to support are:

• Bindings: interface to a technology that can be represented as Things/Items
  • Actions: interface to a technology that gets called directly from a rule
  • Persistence: interface to DB technologies for storing Item states
  • UIs: User interfaces that work with the REST API to build displays

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to chime in and tell me I’m wrong. I usually am.

Hi Felix,

Sounds like an interesting approach to me!
If I understand it correctly, I would agree with @rlkoshak that what you are looking for is a “rule action”, i.e. some piece of complex logic that determines what it would like to do (in your case also using information that it receives from some external service). You should directly go for the new rule engine as this allows you a lot of flexibility in terms of configuration options for your agent. Depending on your scenarios, you might also want to consider to implement triggers, conditions or complete templates. This would allow you to re-combine those building blocks quickly for new use cases. E.g. you could have a trigger like “energy is cheap for the next 60 minutes” and users could decide by themselves, what kind of action they want to execute on such an information.

Looking forward to meeting you at EclipseCon Europe.
Kai

Thank you both for your responses and suggestions. I will look into rule actions, triggers, conditions and templates.
I’m not fully confident, that those match 100 % to the dynamic, autonomous and proactive nature of software agents (each one runs in an own thread etc.), but it might as well be the best way to take a first step. I had the suspicion, that the approach I had in mind was a kind of alternative implementation to the rule engine, but that might be a bit too big chunk for the first sections of the learning curve in OSGi / ESH / openHAB… :wink:

Cheers,
Hanno

OK, so after much trial-and-error experimenting, I managed to find and run the example “Welcome Home Application” mentioned at https://www.eclipse.org/smarthome/documentation/development/rules/sample.extension.java.html, so with

osgi> smarthome automation listRules AirConditionerSwitchOnRule

on the eclipse osgi console, it lists the details of the rule.
This might probably a good way to get going. I would change some code in the org.eclipse.smarthome.automation.sample.extension.java project, shutdown and restart the whole SmartHome Runtime and see what happens. Or can I quickly replace a running bundle for a newly changed and compiled one?

Unfortunately, the /classicui/app and /basicui/app have been started and working, also the /basicui/CMD and /classicui/CMD have been started and at least don’t show any error, same with /chart. /esh/automation/restdemo/index.html also warks. But /ui (also not with /app or /index.html) doesn’t work, i was expecting the PaperUI, because the log shows

17:04:27.571 INFO o.e.s.u.p.internal.PaperUIApp[:31] - Started Paper UI at /ui
All of this is on my Linux Mint laptop running Java 8.
There is however an error early in running

osgi> 17:04:25.905 WARN  o.e.j.util.resource.Resource[:121] - java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 91: file:/opt/eclipse/esh/smarthome-master/ws/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/SmartHome Runtime Sample Rules/org.eclipse.osgi/87/0/.cp/jettyhome/etc/jetty.xml
17:04:25.906 WARN  o.e.j.o.b.i.s.ServerInstanceWrapper[:157] - File does not exist file:/opt/eclipse/esh/smarthome-master/ws/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/SmartHome Runtime Sample Rules/org.eclipse.osgi/87/0/.cp/jettyhome/etc/jetty.xml; BadResource=java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 91: file:/opt/eclipse/esh/smarthome-master/ws/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/SmartHome Runtime Sample Rules/org.eclipse.osgi/87/0/.cp/jettyhome/etc/jetty.xml
java.lang.IllegalStateException: No such jetty server config file: file:/opt/eclipse/esh/smarthome-master/ws/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/SmartHome Runtime Sample Rules/org.eclipse.osgi/87/0/.cp/jettyhome/etc/jetty.xml; BadResource=java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 91: file:/opt/eclipse/esh/smarthome-master/ws/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/SmartHome Runtime Sample Rules/org.eclipse.osgi/87/0/.cp/jettyhome/etc/jetty.xml

But the jetty.xml looks quite OK to me (it only has 91 lines).

Do you maybe have any idea, what is up there?

The other thing are the JADE agents. There is a add on and little tutorial for using JADE in OSGi:
http://jade.tilab.com/download/add-ons/#OSGI
I also managed to compile this and deploy the bundle in a vanilla equinox runtime, it runs fine, starts an agent container and an agent. So now I need to introduce it to ESH…

Would I just create a new project in eclipse perhaps by copying the org.eclipse.smarthome.automation.sample.extension.java project to perhaps org.eclipse.smarthome.automation.agents, then change the meta files (pom.xml and the like) and include it as a plugin in the run configuration?

Thank you already for your help! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Hanno

What comes up when you just go to http://<host>:8080? That should give you a menu of all of the UIs you have installed. Based on all the customizations and rooting around in the console I don’t know if something got accidentally disabled or something like that.

Thank you for the quick reply! :slight_smile:
No, at / or /start/index I also only get
HTTP ERROR: 404
Problem accessing /start/index. Reason:
ProxyServlet: /start/index