Distributing bindings through the IoT Marketplace

@wborn - did you find a solution to the build problem? My PR (https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/pull/2009) is having the exact same problem with the Feed binding. I can even reproduce the error on a clean clone of the OpenHAB2 Addons repository (none of my code).

It may have to do with that the org.openhab.io.transport.feed bundle provides the com.rometools.rome packages on which the org.openhab.binding.feed bundle depends.

I’m not a tycho dependency resolution expert, but with normal Maven dependencies there should be a dependency on this in the POM of org.openhab.binding.feed however it is not.

I can also imagine such dependency resolution is fine with tycho, but due to implementation changes after a tycho upgrade sometimes fails now.

The reproduction scenario in your PR may help @Kai with solving it.

FTR: Same issue reported here. I’ll have a look at how that can be solved.

The feed binding dependency resolution should hopefully be solved now through this PR.

1 Like

Probably simplest to do uninstall/install in the paper ui - I would expect this to download the latest version.

Hi,

great to see that there are already so many entries in the marketplace!

I’d like to again point you to my comment above - it would be nice if the Z-Wave (@chris), Isy (@craigh), DMX (@J-N-K) and Zmote (@Temar) binding listings could be adapted accordingly (i.e. do not mention “openHAB”, add “Binding” to the title, add a custom logo). Thanks!

Done

Since I am not a graphics designer, I cannot and will not provide a custom logo. We can either leave the DMX binding with the default icon or remove it from the listing. Please advise.

Best Regards,

-jnk

ya, I was a little uncomfortable grabbing an image depicting the Isy as well, I didn’t bother with copyright permissions.

Logos aren’t easy for a developer.

If it’s a choice between cosmetics and useful contributions, I vote for the contributions! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think hardly anyone of us is a graphics designer. But I think almost everything is better than having the Eclipse logo shown. And be it “DMX” as bold letters as a png or a picture of some DMX LED lights…

Also like to remind @SuperOok and @ChrisSFoot of this comment - thanks!

Done!

Somehow the DMX binding disappeared - is this intended?

I have made a very quick logo in case this was the reason - Source is me and just do whatever you want with this!

DMX_Logo.pdf (1.8 KB)

Cheers
David

1 Like

Done

I doubt it - no idea why it has disappeared, the logo is definitely not the reason for it.

Even if the IoT marketplace is a great enhancement that allows providing bindings to the final user faster than ever, I see the following potential disadvantages:

• bindings in the marketplace could be not open source,
  • developers could just add their bindings to the marketplace without trying to contribute their work to the project,
  • confusion for the final user when he will discover two bindings for the same thing, one packaged with OH and one in the marketplace (LIFX, Chromecast, …).

How can we limit these rissks ?

My suggestion is that any binding that is part of the official distro should only be available on the marketplace as “alpha” (which by default will be filtered out by the marketplace integration in openHAB).

For the other two points: I think both should be regarded as additional possibilities that actually broaden the openHAB ecosystem and not put a threat on it. Not having to be open source might actually allow add-ons, which so far were not possible because of license restrictions. And some bindings might be so special that nobody is really interested in collaboration.

My hope is that if there are add-ons that are interesting for many in the community and where there are multiple volunteers that want to jointly work on the code together, these will actually be created as a PR so that they become part of the official distro.

Imho the best mitigation about the potential risks of this new “alternative” is to become again better on the speed of PR reviews & merges. As explained in another topic, I hope that the static analysis tool will soon help on that part.

1 Like

Just tested the IoT marketplace (with OH2 snapshot 849) and tried to install my WeatherUnderground binding. No problem, it works very well.
Great enhancement.

PS: Paper UI takes ages to refresh the list of bindings. Any solution to speed up the loading of this page ? Of course, it is not linked to the marketplace, it was already very slow without the marketplace.

1 Like

@craigh Might I also ask you for the Omnilink entry to apply the guidelines mentioned here?