Do you need more bindings than z-wave?

Thanks Max. Do we really think that’s it? What concerns me and I’ve read this elsewhere, is that Z-Wave devices run on low power as a security feature until it’s included. For me, bringing the device right by the server it activated right away. Now moving it elsewhere still seems to work at first glance.

Issue if this is the case, I can’t bring my Leviton wall switch to the device and plug it in a wall socket, it’s an in wall switch. If I have to do that for this device, would have to find a way to activate it or to get the Z-Stick near the device while it’s still plugged into the server.

EDIT: By the way I backed out of my install so I could properly document my setup (VM). Right now device sitting as uninitialized again. What is an acceptable wait time for it to come online?

Thanks.

JR

John, The technology behind these devices are complicated for good reasons. Understanding them is tough at times. That’s why reading up on the technology helps but believe me It’s tough to understand.
Lookup the terms “Polling”, “Command Polling Periods” and “Wakeup Intervals” I think this is what you are running into. The initial setup of bringing the z wave stick close to the device was to minimize cross traffic and insure direct communication. Z wave is a mesh network so ‘chatter’ is a concern on initial setup. Many devices have 100’ range or more. BTW there are other technologies out there that are simpler but less versatile you may want to look into. Like Sonoff devices.

Nah, sonoff devices seem to big. I may opt to go to Wi-Fi only but find that a lot of these devices do not have open API’s so can’t do much with them with the hub. Right now device still says:

Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR Node is not communicating with controller

Thanks.

JR

Should be noted I started over again and same deal. However again when I brought it near the server it connected immediately. Why won’t it work at a distance before configured?

Not to note another note, :slight_smile: But there is about a 15 - 20 second delay for any reaction with the lamp. Not sure if I can connect a USB extension cable and get it closer to the stairs going upstairs to improve things, or if I install a Leviton wall switch in the basement it will chain and work faster. Obviously with this kind of reaction thinking Z-Wave only supports 4 hops concerns me.

Wish it had a power on/off like you can do on the device directly. Right now just scroller of 0 - 100 which I guess is similar?

Even more funny, it’s reporting off-line again but is still working with the lag which is about 10 seconds right now.

Thanks.

JR

This is one of the opening statements in the documentation:
——
**When home automation just seems to work, it is always the result of hard work. **

Home automation is fascinating and requires a considerable investment of your time. Here are some key considerations especially for new users. To be successful, you will need to:

• Start slowly and one step at a time
  • Be prepared to learn
  • Remain flexible in how you want to achieve your goal
  • Celebrate all the small successes

Remember, openHAB is just a computer program. The computer will only do what you tell it to do. openHAB can provide many default solutions that are easy to setup. On the flip side, the more you insist that everything should look and work exactly as you want it, the more work you will have to do.

——

So, yes often patience and persistence are the answer.

Thanks for your comments Max. Doesn’t really help with the challenge but will try and find answers where I can I guess.

Thanks.

JR