Documenting openHAB 2

I very much like the idea of the Administration chapter - I was already wondering myself, where such stuff should go best. Many thanks for your PR, looks perfect and its already merged!

Thanks all, I like the new documentation!

I just found out, that the links to the Eclipse SmartHome Designer Nighly Snapshots are broken. I found working ones here: http://www.eclipse.org/smarthome/documentation/community/downloads.html#source-code

The bug seems to be here:

Thanks for noticing, this is related to https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/pull/1601

I found a small misalignment in the docu pages. It seems that the horizontal scroll bar is added T the bottom of the embedded text page. And if there is not much text in the embedded page, the scroll bar is in the middle of the screen:

Donā€™t know how to rectify this. Perhabs somebody with better undestanding of the technology behind it (jekyll?) can have a look?

Yeah, this is the reason why I even removed the colored footer bar. Same problem exists for the Eclipse SmartHome documentation (as both share the same templates). If any JS guru can help fixing it, it would be nice. If not, the very best workaround is to avoid too short documentation pages!

@rlkoshak, @bipphilippe Are you still working on filling the documentation content? When setting up the web page, my hope was that we would get rid off the ā€œto be doneā€ pages within a few daysā€¦ Very much hoping on your support!

Iā€™m still working it, slowly but working it. I should have some PRs this weekend.

@rlkoshak, @bipphilippe Any update?

Not a good update. Life has gotten in the way. My wife broke her dominant hand. Not a good thing with a toddler to care for and my spare time went poof. I hate being that guy with nothing but excuses. Itā€™s embarrassing and not putting me in a good light. I usually do follow through much better than this.

I have a three day weekend coming up and Iā€™ve actually blocked off some time in the calendar to write as many pages as I can.

No worries, Rich, life comes first, software follows :wink:
All the best to your wife and a quick recovery!

At which frequency docs.openhab.org is updated with binding documentation ?
Is it once a day ?

Once I find the time.
Would like to have it done by a build job one day, but also have to find the time for that firstā€¦

Ok thank you, I thought it was already done by a job.

Today I wanted to tune one spelling mistake in the openhab1 sitemap wiki article. I ended up overhauling the whole document. Should I continue in doing so and PR the document over to docs - or is somebody already working on that?

It depends. If it is still a relevant document for OH 2 then by all means submit a PR. If not you need only make the changes to the wiki page.

I think so. Regarding sitemaps not to much changed from OH1 to OH2. All elements used by me seem to be unchanged and maybe 1-2 element-classes got added (will have to check).

I will go through everything and add some screenshots and stuff, should be fine. Iā€™ll come back here when Iā€™m finished.

For OH 2 make sure to reference this as the Classic UI. The OH 2 documentation is being developed out of its own github project (see the conversation above for details).

I know, already PRed a few lines. What do you mean by ā€œreference this as the Classic UIā€?

I believe the sitemap is used to define the Classic UI in OH 2, as opposed to the Paper UI or any other new UI that may be coming down the line.

Nope, BasicUI uses exactly the same file, just looks prettier :slight_smile: