Thanks, I’ll look into it to see if it happens on the C2 or only RockPi4. Note if you dont use that package I found the ‘system info’ binding would not work with ARM64 devices. So to get java working without using the udev:armhf these steps can be used. It should be as easy as removing udev:armhf and using libc6:armhf in its place. Also there may be a java enviroment option to remove.
Let me know if you find another way to get the system info binding working for the ARM64 processors, thanks…
I edited and uploaded a script for you to try. Same location it is just called install-openhab-rockpi4.sh
Leave the RTC disabled as you will need to find what steps work for yours, it may be similar and the code is clear which parts are for the Odroids RTC…
I would expect that you will hit the hurdle of java crashes due to the big.little processors once you actually get things running. The script does not handle that for you but my post above gives a thread with a number of fixes for this in it.
EDIT: I seem to recall that the big.little issue was caused by a licensing issue with Samsung and since the rockchip ARM in the rockpi4 is not made by Samsung it may not have the same problem.
Good luck and be sure to post what you find as the RockPi4 does look good for 1 reason and that is the M2 NVME ability, would have preferred M2 sata as they are cheaper but that will change and nvme is better.
Thanks, I will try this script on the Ubuntu image. I’m currently running the Debian image and there the udev service runs without any problems. I’ve also just tested the Systeminfo binding and that works too.
What exactly didn’t work with the Systeminfo binding without the udev service?
I did look arround some more about this problem and I guess the problem is that the Ubuntu image comes with the 64 bit version of udev preinstalled (/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1) and that the 32 bit version just does not work. But Openhab only runs unter 32 bit Java because of the serial libraries.
Any ideas if this will change in the future and that OH could be running with 64 bit Java?
I think I just found a solution that works! I found this thread that describes the problem in the oshi GitHub project. But installing the udev:armhf package breaks the ubuntu image as we know. So I just replaced this package with libudev1:armhf. After that I created the symlinks as described in the GitHub issue and then the Systeminfo binding did initialize and it seems to work just fine. Here are all commands that I used to get this to work:
But after a restart Openhab was still having encoding problems with the utf8 files. I’ve added “-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8” to the EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS and that did switch java to utf8. Maybe there is also a better solution for this? But this should also be set by the script in my opinion because it is also the default in Openhabian.
@matt1 I just found this thread. Openhab 2.4 should now should be able to run with 64 bit Java because the serial library was updated. I just did a quick test with the ZigBee binding and this seems to work. Could you please add an option to you script for a 64 bit installation? Also please do not forget to add the curl package and update the Zulu package to the latest version.
Thanks for the hint, I didn’t see this comment. I already tried running Openhab in 64 bit mode, but I didn’t notice that the system is any slower yet. Maybe this is a problem that only exists on the Pine64. But I can only say for sure as soon as I the Rock Pi 4 as my main Openhab controller. At the moment I only do some tests with it.
Hi. Sorry for bringing up this old thread, @matt1 , but I’ve just bought a RockPi 4a which I thought I’d move my OH over to and I thought your install script would be a good start. I get a http 404 though. Is it completely gone or do you still have it somewhere?
Yep, I actually ended up simply installing OH the “normal” way, ie using apt. I was kinda surprised to see that actually everything just worked out of the box. I tried installing OH to an arm64 server a few years back and after days of struggling I gave up and fell back to my 32 bit server…
Since you have a working setup now, you may be interested that I have been updating and splitting the scripts up into smaller files. So if you want frontail installed or the samba shares to be easily setup the same as openhabian, there are separate scripts that can be used on top of a working install (after you backup first of course). They assume it is a clean fresh install and are not smart enough to handle anything other than a clean install so don’t expect the samba script to fix or change a hacked/broken attempt to already install it.
The scripts are plain bash commands so you can use them as a guide on what commands to use if you want to do it manually or need to fault find. If you find issues then PM me as it will be a big help next time I go to use them which is why I share
They are tested under Armbian on a Odroid C2, but I’m making them ready for moving my system onto an Odroid N2+ so they have nothing in them now that are board related.