Drayton Wiser Thermostat Binding

I’ve built your binding via mvn and copied the jar over. It found the heat hub, I added the auth token and everything appeared straight away!

I just need to fix my items up and I’ll get some testing done over the next few days.

I’m a fan of text configs rather than karaf. Do you have the format I need to create the things file? I guess it needs I.P address and auth token for the hub, then serial numbers for the devices and names for rooms?

Great!

I haven’t tried configuring it using items and things files yet, but I guess the heathub needs the IP, authtoken and refresh interval. All other things should just need an “internalID” setting which is the contents of the ID field in the json response.

This is my first real use of OpenHAB so I haven’t really set everything up properly other than in Paper UI.

1 Like

My range extender arrived today and I was WFH, so I had a bit of a play.
I appears to be a rebranded OWON WSP402 which s a zigbee range extender and smart plug with consumption monitoring.
Sadly the only property currently exposed via the API is the ID, so no smart switching just yet.
Given I had to go into the loft to get it paired, I tried out a few things to see if you can get the secret from the heathub via a nicer route. Unfortunately I failed. Enabling joining mode (long press setup) doesn’t allow access, and entering setup mode seems to disconnect the hub from the regular network as it launches its own hotspot. This is quite annoying as some of the responses you can get back from the API suggest it has 2 network interfaces (wlan0 and wlan1), but I guess either they are just virtual to the same hardware, or it can only have 1 active at once.

I’ve spent far longer than I should have getting the manual config right. I’ve successfully got the HeatHub showing, but struggling with the rooms. This is my config:

And how it looks in PaperUI

I wonder if it needs the controller? If that doesn’t work I’ll put it to one side for a while

EDIT: It needed the controller

Here’s the .things file config, Auth Token removed

Bridge draytonwiser:heathub:HeatHub [ ADDR="192.168.3.6", REFRESH=60, AUTHTOKEN="MySecretPassphrase" ]
{
	controller controller	[ internalID=0 ]
	room livingroom	[ internalID=1 ]
	room bathroom	[ internalID=2 ]
}
1 Like

Looks good. Do you think configuration was hard just due to the lack of documentation, or because of “bad design”?

I’ll add the .things snippets to the readme soon along with a .items snippet as well. Tbh I’m not sure why it didn’t work without the controller, as it shouldn’t make any difference I don’t think.

It was lack of documentation. I couldn’t find any guides on structuring the bridge in the .things file (I’m positive I’ve seen one before) so used the Hue binding as my inspiration.

I’m having trouble with the setpoint showing as 0C at the moment, I’ll do some more investigation first.

I’ve created an initial PR for this here https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/pull/3168
Ideally need some data from people with multi-channel systems (i.e. hot water) as well.

1 Like

I think I’ve made manual configuration easier with the latest update. I’ve moved away from the somewhat ethereal internalID to the more sensible serialNumber and roomName for devices and rooms respectively. This means you no longer need to poke the API to work out what the device IDs are, as you can just address all your TRVs and Room stats by the more accessible Serial Number (printed on a sticker on each device). Rooms are addressable by their names defined in the Wiser app, in a case insensitive fashion.

1 Like

Hi guys, I am new to all this OpenHab+Wiser, can anyone point me out to some good guides about how to get the most out of Wiser with the help of OpenHab? I am a newbie!

I have been using other systems in the past few years, I was using EQ-3 MAX systems, that I have just replaced with Wiser to take advantage of the opentherm capabilities of the new boiler.

Thanks!

I’d strongly suggest reading this thread as a starting place.

With the binding you have control of rooms as you do in the app and can get data at a device level if you wish. Personally I’d stick with the rooms for temperature reports and maybe monitor battery levels at a device level

thanks will have a look!

Out of interest is it a combi boiler, or a conventional boiler?

Hi Andrew,

It is a Combi Boiler, and thanks to your great work I have managed to install your bindings into OpenHAB. Now I can see more information about my heating system on OpenHAB, question is how accurate is this information? Below is a screenshot

The heating is off at the moment, and a “Non Wiser” thermostat from the old system is reporting 18.9C, why I see so many different temperatures here? Which one is correct? Channel1 Heat demand shows NaN, is this expected?

This morning I also tried to “change” some of the values like temp set point from PaperUI, does this work for you? It doesn’t for me, keeps reverting back.

Today Wiser Heat app wasn’t working so I called the support team to ask about it, they told me that the cloud was down. I also mentioned that my wiser-hub seems to have poor signal, he asked me how I knew, I was tempted to tell him. I believe it is not good to tell them that we have access to it? Also it seems they have “access” to all the data collected from our home systems, is there anything we can do about it?

Thanks!

1 Like

Btw, all is from the same room.

I’m not sure why you have duplicate temperature items in your Paper UI for the room stat and trvs, but that issue aside, the temperature reported by the app is the one for the “room” which as far as I can tell is always the lowest value of all the devices assigned to that room, i.e. in your case the room stat.
The heat demand NaN value should update itself in time, I’ve noticed that occasionally I need to refresh the paper UI page and then let it complete a background update cycle to start getting true values. I think this happens at the moment because I don’t persist any values, so lots of them get initialized with NaNs.

The setpoint issue is one I intend to fix. It does work, its just not obvious that it has worked. Basically the data is pulled from the hub at the refresh interval configured for the hub (default 60 seconds). When you change the setpoint it sends the update, but doesn’t do a full refresh immediately, so when paper UI updates itself it will be pulling old data (i.e. the previous setpoint). When the background update fires, this will update the states and paper UI will catch up.

A workaround for the moment is to decrease the refresh interval (although I think you need to restart the binding for this to take effect). The long term solution is for me to refresh the state data whenever an update is pushed to the hub, which will make the UI appear more responsive.

I’m hoping to find someone with a multichannel controller so I can work out what hot water data we can get via the API, but not to worry.

You could legitimately say that the signal bars in the app (on the devices page) showed poor signal.

Technically they’re all correct. Each device reports the temperature. Your Room Thermostat also reports the humidity. Rooms then take the average temperature of the devices in the room.

You can tell him you know that it has low signal from the app settings menu for each device.

Even if the cloud is down you should be able to access your thermostat if you’re on the same network. Were you away from home at the time?

That’s not what I observe. It’s always the minimum temperature.

Well, I was at home, but still the app was not able to connect to the devices, however I was able to monitor it through openHAB.

BTW, I think I have to thank you too :slight_smile: good job!

2 Likes

Interesting. I was assuming it would be the average, although maybe they know the temperature is skewed by the TRV being next to the heat source and disregard it.