Drayton Wiser Thermostat Binding

5 new photos · Album by Richard

Some photos for entertainment value…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aogZK7A79xfuD9Z99

Hopefully posts better

I originally hoped that it’s just a case of lowering the top timer with the standard backplate to be closer to the current rubbish wireless receivers. That way I can put their wires straight in to the correct back plate terminals for the Wiser.

It will be a bit more complicated than that I think, as the standard back-plate wiring is currently for two zones and will need to change to three zones.

Jeeez! That junction box is a mess! If it helps at all I had a BDR91 and swapped it for the Dayton Wiser kit. Hopefully my notes will help you https://robpope.co.uk/blog/index.php/2017/11/14/drayton-wiser-smart-thermostat-part-2/

I think that’s pretty standard for a 3 channel junction box. If you look at the wiring diagrams drayton provide for their 3 channel system it looks similarly complicated.

It looks like in @rr4444’s case if the heating channel from the LP241 was ever off, it would kill the 2 BDR91s, as presumably it is switching the 230v power line to those controllers. I don’t know if that means the wiring in the 3 channel junction box is then non-standard or not, but it looks like a non-trivial re-wire.

Essentially I believe the control pairs from the BDR91s need wiring into the 2 heating channels of the new backplate, and the 230v power needs disconnecting from both. The 230v power to the LP241 needs wiring to the power of the new backplate, as does the hot water control pair. All other wiring connected to the LP241 needs to be removed. That should leave you with mains, HC1, HC2 and HW on the new backplate.

If this were my heating setup, I’d be tempted to re-wire the whole thing from scratch, using the drayton installation guide for reference. This looks a little easier in your case as lots of the wires have been helpfully labelled.

Thanks both.

Thanks Rob - yup I really wish it was simple as your swap out :disappointed_relieved:

Cheers Andrew, yup, you’re exactly right in terms of how it functions, which I presume also means it is wired the way you think…

I have a spark around next week I think to take a peek. I wonder how many hours and cost he will claim it needs. I am concerned whether it will be worth it or not. It will probably end up being more than the cost of the wiser system itself just on labour. It would end up being cheaper to stick on a couple of Hives over the BDR91s (I say before proper investigation!) :neutral_face:

To be continued!

A possible alternative, is that you replace the 2 BDR91s with a 3 channel wiser controller (using the mains power from one of them, and the control pairs from both). This would leave your hotwater under the control of the LP241, but should allow both central heating channels to be controlled by the wiser controller. I think that should work.

Ahaaaa! Very clever. The obvious totally escaped me… Many thanks indeed. I should relook at Rob’s site again too then.

That electrician disappeared and never turned up when he discovered the limit of what i wanted. They all expect to charge for putting on the TRVs, pairing/binding them, etc. - almost out of principle that a retail person shouldn’t know/touch part of an install.

That’s without me talking about OpenHAB or sniffing TCP packets :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl: LoL

Hi all,

I’m new to OpenHAB and wiser so please be gentle with me :pray:

I’m moving from a Netatmo thermostat setup to wiser but the thing I’m doing to miss is the usage graphs and boiler on time so that’s why I’m here.

I’ve got a spare RasPi lying about and plan to use that for openHAB, once that is setup is it just a case of using PaperUI and loading the Wiser binding.

Does the hub hold any usage data or would I need to run something constantly to gather the data?

Look forward to your replies.

Summary

This text will be hidden

Summary

This text will be hidden

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately the hub doesn’t retain any history, so you’ll need to track it all using OpenHAB.

That probably means setting up influxbd and grafana to store the data and produce the pretty charts (InfluxDB+Grafana persistence and graphing) that you can then link to in your sitemap.

In terms of setting up wiser in OpenHAB, it should be as simple as you say. Install the binding and load it up in PaperUI (it should detect the hub automatically). You’ll need to configure the secret token in paper UI and then trigger a discovery for it to find all the components (controller, rads etc).

Thanks Andrew,

It seems this will give me something to scratch my head about over a spare day or two!

Not had a proper chance to look at this yet. Is it a fairly simple process to produce the charts using InfluxDB+Grafana?

Regards,

Adam

I seems to remember it being relatively easy. Unfortunately my rpi seems to have suffered some sort of failure (SD card I think), so I can’t even get you any screenshots :frowning:

Perhaps a bit of a newbie question but when the binding is used does it play-nice with the Drayton phone app? What I mean is if changes are made via the binding does the Drayton app update correctly and reflect these changes? My thinking is re. WAF.

Yes it does

1 Like

The new heat report in the app looks interesting. I’ll try and do some packet capture to see where the data is coming from, but I suspect it’s from the wiser cloud rather than our heathubs.

Hi

I have been following this thread for a while now and took the plunge. I have a kit 2 with one trv set up and working

I’m totally new to openhab but have your package installed and everything is showing as online however when I create a sitemap I can’t get any live data to show.

I can’t for the life of me see why

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

A basic sitemap:

sitemap home label=“Home” {
Frame label=“Automation” {
Text item=draytonwiser_room_WiserHeat0285C3_lobby_heatRequest label=“Heating” icon=“fire” {
Text item=draytonwiser_itrv_WiserHeat01234_ABCDEF_currentSignalStrength label=“Radiator Signal Strength” icon=“network”
Text item=draytonwiser_itrv_WiserHeat01234_GHIJKL_currentTemperature label=“Temperature [%.1f °C]” icon=“temperature”
}
}
}

Hi John.

I don’t think you can have an item as a group header so you’ve got an extra curly brace in your config. Also, don’t forget code braces in the future as it makes it much easier to read (3 ` at the start and end of the code block)

Try something like:

sitemap home label=“Home” {
        Frame label=“Automation” {
            Text item=draytonwiser_room_WiserHeat0285C3_lobby_heatRequest label=“Heating” icon=“fire” 
            Text item=draytonwiser_itrv_WiserHeat01234_ABCDEF_currentSignalStrength label=“Radiator Signal Strength” icon=“network”
            Text item=draytonwiser_itrv_WiserHeat01234_GHIJKL_currentTemperature label=“Temperature [%.1f °C]” icon=“temperature”
        }
    }

Thanks for the quick reply!

No joy, however after a reboot I can’t get the sitemap to even appear anymore.

One for tomorrow I think.

Does anyone have any sitemaps of their own they could share that I could base mine on?

Thanks

Spent a bit more time on this but still can’t get any live data to appear. The ‘things’ are all showing as ONLINE.

I tried building a sitemap via homebuilder but even that doesn’t show me anything.

This is what I am trying to get temperature. All i see in the panel is - C

sitemap our_home label="Our Home" {
    Frame {
        Group item=Boiler
    }

Frame {
    Text item=draytonwiser_itrv_WiserHeat12345_ABCDEF_currentTemperature label="Temperature [%.1f °C]" icon="temperature"
 {
            Default item=Boiler_Power label="Boiler Room"
        }
    }
}

Hi All,

Good discussion, I was following this for some days. I have installed Wise thermostat and 6 radiator values, all works fine. I am looking to connect to the system using the methods discussed here without any success. I have not got the secret key yet and getting 401 all the time. I have bought and installed only after the Black Friday so not sure the new version prevent retrieving it.

My intentions were

• Make some more triggers available for IFTTT ( Such as room wise temp, if light is on, if presents sensor detect someone for XXX min then set the temp to XXX

• Try to build this for Tizen wearable - For Samsung watch.

All just hobby.

Thanks for any advice for getting the secret key

Sunil Warrier