"Dummy" item without thing attached

I recently moved from OH1 to OH2 and I’m still working on cleanup but I thought this was working.

I have an item like this in my items file and I can see the item listed in the items section of the designer.

Number Scene_General "Scene" (gDEBUG)

But if I change the scene number I get this in the openhab.log

Received HTTP POST request at 'items/Scene_General' for the unknown item 'Scene_General'.

Is there a special way that an item without a thing attached would need to be created in OH2?

Thanks

I see nothing wrong with what you are trying to do or the snippet you provided. Any more information to help identify the cause?

Here is what I have in the sitemap:

Selection item=Scene_General label="Scene Selection" mappings=[0="off", 1="TV", 2="Night"]		
Switch item=Scene_General label="Scene" mappings=[0="off", 1="TV", 2="Night"]		

and here are the rules that interact with the item:

rule "Hue TV"
	when
		Item Scene_General received command 1
	then
			gHUE?.members.forEach(item,i|createTimer(now.plusSeconds(i+10)) [|sendCommand(item, OFF)])
			Thread::sleep(2000)
			Toggle_2.sendCommand(ON)
			Color_2.sendCommand("55,83,50")

//hue_on.apply(Toggle_2,Color_2,55,83,50)
end

rule "Hue Night"
	when
		Item Scene_General received command 2
	then
		gHUE?.members.forEach(item,i|createTimer(now.plusSeconds(i+10)) [|sendCommand(item, OFF)])
		Thread::sleep(2000)
		sendCommand(Toggle_3,ON)
		sendCommand(Color_3, "0,80,10")
		//hue_on.apply(Toggle_3,Color_3,0,80,10)
		//hue_off.apply(Color_2,Toggle_2)
		//hue_off.apply(Color_1,Toggle_1)
		//hue_off.apply(Toggle_4,Toggle_4)
end

rule "Hue Off"
	when
		Item Scene_General received command 0 OR Item gHUE received command OFF
	then
		postUpdate(Scene_General, 0)
		postUpdate(Toggle_1, OFF)
		postUpdate(Toggle_2, OFF)
		postUpdate(Toggle_3, OFF)
		postUpdate(Toggle_4, OFF)
end

If that doesn’t help then I guess I’ll just have to start testing everything little by little when I have time.

Thanks

Should an item added to an item file be visible in paperui/habmin as an item?

I believe the answer is No and Yes. PaperUI is not expected to work with Items from any .items files

Habmin2 should work

Thanks, it’s not showing up in either. All of my items are defined via an items file and many of them do show up but maybe that’s because they are attached to a thing? I will dig in this weekend and try to figure out what is going on.