Duplicate features listed in console

I’m trying to troubleshoot some issues I’ve been having with HomeKit integration lately. Lot of talk about HomeKit, iOS 11, tvOS 11, etc. I’m trying to narrow down and isolate anything that could be problematic and I’ve come to find this one peculiar thing. I’m not sure how but this seems to be the ONLY feature that has managed to have a SECOND copy of the same feature. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. But I can’t shake the 2 copies of it.

Is there a way I can definitively get rid of this? And/or have I found a bug from something? And/or does it even matter? I’m concerned this could be part of my issues as others have reported success with the HomeKit integration functioning in households with iOS11, tvOS11, and newer iDevices.

openhab> feature:list | grep homekit                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 21:18:24
openhab-misc-homekit                        │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT   │ x        │ Started     │ addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT   │ HomeKit Integration
openhab-misc-homekit                        │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT   │ x        │ Started     │ addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT   │ HomeKit Integration

Most or even all of my features are listed twice. Not sure why, but note the different file origins in column 5.
Until now I have never seen any problem with it and thought that’s cosmectical.

EDIT: see this.
Maybe that’s why. Wait for next snapshot and open a github issue on this if that does not fix it.

openhab-voice-marytts                       │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT   │ x        │ Started     │ addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT                │ Mary Text-to-Speech
openhab-voice-marytts                       │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT   │ x        │ Started     │ openhab-addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT        │ Mary Text-to-Speech
openhab-voice-voicerss                      │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT   │          │ Uninstalled │ addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT                │ VoiceRSS Text-to-Speech
openhab-voice-voicerss                      │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT   │          │ Uninstalled │ openhab-addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT        │ VoiceRSS Text-to-Speech

Thanks for the linked info.

I’m not sure if that’s specifically the same issue I’m having though. In my case, I ONLY have this 1 feature duplicated. The other difference here is in mine, column 5 is showing EXACTLY the same content. Taking a guess out of nowhere, my guess might be that you have the ONLINE addons version and then potentially dropped the local addons in as well? This might explain the different names and the lack of issue as they’re 2 different repos. For me, I’ve only got the ONLINE data, no local addon, and mine are listed as the same repo or source.

I see the same thing too, I’ve never installed homekit but sure enough it’s available twice:

openhab-misc-homekit │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT │  │ Uninstalled │ addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT │ HomeKit Integration
openhab-misc-homekit │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT │  │ Uninstalled │ addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT │ HomeKit Integration

So what does the feature list contain, looking at github

<feature name="openhab-misc-homekit" description="HomeKit Integration" version="${project.version}">
        <feature>openhab-runtime-base</feature>
        <feature>openhab-transport-mdns</feature>
        <bundle start-level="80">mvn:org.openhab.io/org.openhab.io.homekit/${project.version}</bundle>
    </feature>

<feature name="openhab-misc-homekit" description="HomeKit Integration" version="${project.version}">
        <feature>openhab-runtime-base</feature>
        <feature>openhab-transport-mdns</feature>
        <bundle start-level="80">mvn:org.openhab.io/org.openhab.io.homekit/${project.version}</bundle>
    </feature>

They’re identical! Looks to me like one of these need to be removed!

Edit: Made a pull request: https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/pull/2750 which has been merged! Shouldn’t bother you after the next snapshot!

Thanks. But now it me who’s worried :expressionless: |
Now that I still have all of my features duplicated, I wonder why and whether that might be a cause for my longtime problems with lengthy startup (and lockups even, sometimes), as also described here.

Now I don’t think it’s both, local and remote packages because I have set remote=false in addons.cfg (and legacy = false, too). Or is that the wrong place (or not the only one) ?
@benjy: how can I find out where they’re coming from ?

btw: #1048 is just out.

I think you should wait for the PR you linked to be merged. I expect you will at least see some difference in display. I’ll let you know once it has been included in the snapshots.

#1048 will still contain a duplicate openhab-misc-homekit, because it started building before my PR was merged.

#1048 does not have your PR but it should have the one I linked, shouldn’t it ?
Running #1048 now, I still see duplicates. And no substantial improvement regarding my lengthy startup.

openhab> feature:list|grep marytts openhab-voice-marytts │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT │ x │ Started │ openhab-addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT │ Mary Text-to-Speech openhab-voice-marytts │ 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT │ x │ Started │ addons-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT │ Mary Text-to-Speech

Not quite: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/pull/538

Ok so basically I need to wait until Thur (currently Tue afternoon) for the change to hit the nightly snapshot? This could be fantastic news. And I think might be at the root cause of the issue that many are having with the HomeKit integration. :crossed_fingers:

Not sure how long it’s been there plaguing us, but at least I found it now. I want to say my HomeKit setup stopped working around 8/25/17 (I believe I found that was the last known snapshot that worked). I thought it was iOS 11, but I think it would be more likely it was this. I no longer see the HomeKit monitoring notices, and I was seeing a bunch of wacky errors around HomeKit. I’m hedging my bets this was causing some type of a low level error which wasn’t launching this binding properly.

But your PR will only fix the homekit duplicate. That was @shawnmix’ problem.
MY problem is that ALL features appear twice. There’s no PR waiting to fix THAT, or?
I’ve just removed the .kar file from the addons directory and restarted, now I only see each feature once.
But I’m still worried - where do these features come from ? As mentioned remote is false, so they shouldn’t originate from the online repo.

I’ll try to clear a few things up.

My PR only addressed the duplicate binding of homekit, because that is what this topic was about. You posted a link to a fix for something that you’re experiencing. I believe the causes of the two issues to be completely unrelated.

Furthermore, your link was for a forked repo (a WIP repo for the author of the PR), it is yet to be merged into openHAB. My last post above contains a link to the actual PR that address your issue. When this PR is merged, it may improve things.

Regarding the remote being false, I agree that these features should not come from anywhere if you’ve not connected to the remote repo. It might be that these features were added before you turned off the switch?

If you uninstall the binding through the openhab console, then remove the contents of the cache and tmp folders. Without the remote repo being switched on, I’m assuming you can’t install the binding back?

I don’t dare trying at the moment, but it’s been like that a long time (throughout various OH package updates) and I have been starting java with -Dosgi.clean=true to clean the cache every time, including the most recent start (after I had deleted the .kar). Still confused about the features’ origin.

Ok, that was a little confusing, thanks for clarifying. So I’ll wait for #1049 (or whatever your referenced PR will be in) and let you know the outcome.

Upgraded to #1050, but still duplicates. I believe the PR#538 is in now, but they’re still discussing there…

Confirming here that #1050 does get rid of the duplicate HomeKit issue. Unfortunately it didn’t fix the main issue with HomeKit. Separate thread opened on this under bindings for HomeKit. May be time to look at finally just deploying HomeBridge and using that to manage HomeKit integration now. :frowning:

1 Like

As you can read in the discussion, the proposed PR does not seem to fix the issue, therefore it isn’t merged either (note that its color is green (=open)).

1 Like

I’ve setup my OH2 box from scratch using openHABian this time. It does not add the openhab2-addons package which I used to have installed before, and so I chose to have remote=true this time (it was false in my old install).
Now that change got me rid of the duplicates features. Adding/re-removing the addons package reproducibly results in duplicate/unique features.
I have never found out, though, why I did have duplicate features although I had remote=false in addons.cfg. Didn’t file any bug because it seems I was the only one to have that problem (or there’s more to have it but they just didn’t notice yet).