eBus Vaillant VRC700 openHAB

Hi everyone,

I built a house 2 years ago and my costs for heating seem to be too high. Therefor my plan is to log values from my Vaillant heating system via eBus to see what is going on and to be able to optimise the system.

I’ve already installed openHAB on a Raspberry Pi 4 or installed openhabian respectively and integrated all my Hue , Tado, TV, Sonos… stuff as well as 2 smart meter. On top of that I’m logging some channels with influxDB and show them in Grafana. Everything works fine so far!

The next step would be to log eBus data but for me it is not clear how. I’ve bought an eBus-coupler from esera and the connection also seems to be working (testet with eBusConnector on Windows system). I only want to “listen” to the eBus, never write (at least for the beginning).

From what I understand now I should install ebusd on my raspberry.

#Q1: Which version of ebusd? With or without MQTT? What is MQTT good for?

I need also an eBus Binding in my openHAB… There is the one which comes with the AddOn package but there is also a ebus 2.0 available on the net with Vaillant stuff included!?

#Q2: Wich eBus binding should I use?

#Q3: Is there somewhere a step by step guide how to install and run everything (for dummies)?

I’m not a programmer or anything like that so my problem is that all info I’ve found so far are not fully understandable for me :frowning:

Thanks in advance for your support!

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspi 4 4GB
    • Java Runtime Environment: ?
    • openHAB version: openhabian Buster
    • Vaillant VRC700 controller
    • Vaillant VR70 add on module
    • Vaillant MEH 61 hydraulic module
    • Vaillant heat pump aroTherm 155/2
    • Vailant

MQTT is good of integrating home automation stuff. It is the lingua franka of DIY home automation. If you get a ebus software that talks MQTT than you only need use the MQTT binding in OH.

There is only one to choose from. But it’s a v1 binding so if you have the option of using something that talks MQTT that would be better. See eBUS - Bindings | openHAB for details on what the eBud binding required.

No, here’s the new one.

1 Like

Yes that is right, and specially the vrc700 is well supported. The V1 is outdated and not really supported from my end as main developer.

You don’t happen to be willing to have a try at an EEBus binding to link a PV to your heating system, do you ?

Sorry but not really. I try to reduce my openHAB efforts to spend more time on other things :wink:

Don’ mix up EEBus and eBus… it is two different things!

I don`t have have a PV.